Sunday, April 29, 2007

A welcomed break for me ... and you, too.

I have been busy on Ebay. Selling, not buying. I am gradually divesting myself of all the accumulated crap I have around here that has no function in my life. Eventually, I will be left with several appliances, my computer and my cat.
Speaking of which, I received word that my aunt's family had to have their 15-year old cat put down this weekend. My guy is 16, and I have long ago begun the process of cherishing every day with him. I hope he is doing the same.

Saturday night I decided to take in a Phillies game. When I go alone, I can usually get a pretty good seat, since there are generally oddballs left in the middle of rows that they can't sell. I got one in the first row at field level down the first base line. It sounded like a great spot, but it's a little too close. Kind of like being at one of those go-go joints where the dancers have B.O. You're happy to see her, but she could back it up a little.
The annual nonsense known as the NFL draft went on this weekend. Both days were televised by ESPN in an exercise that I can only call overkill. ESPN showed the draft, and ESPN2 showed cheerleading competition. Nice of them to give us a choice. The first round is semi-interesting, but do we really need Sunday's 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rounds? Some team makes the 225th pick and the analysts talk about how great the player is and what a steal he is at 225. Do they really know or are they just filling time? Other than getting to see Suzi Kolber (instead of Saturday's too-loud-for-the-room host, Blowhard Chris Berman) there is really no need to tune in. It's 6:30 on Sunday night and it is still going on. A WORD OF ADVICE: Stop yelling Chris, you got the job.
On Saturday, the cameras hounded Brady Quinn, the Notre Dame QB who continued to drop from the top ten to #22, where the Browns eventually put him (and us) out of his misery. Those same analysts couldn't believe how low he was dropping, as if they are always right, and 32 NFL teams are always wrong.
Speaking of the NFL, a trial balloon was floated by commissioner Roger Goodell that said the league should consider playing a Super Bowl outside the United States. On Monday, senators from all 50 states will introduce legislation to prevent it. Well, as long as the senators are making good use of their time.
Check "Shopping Mall" from the list of places where you can go and feel safe:
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - At least two people were killed Sunday afternoon after a shooting at a shopping center, fire officials said.
Start making that check list of stuff you shouldn't wear to work:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - A new survey showed tank tops and visible underwear are the biggest fashion faux pas on the job, according to Monster, an online job and recruiting site, which compiled more than 18,000 responses to an online poll. Results were released this week by Monster.com. Flip-flop sandals weighed in next on the list of fashion mistakes, followed by Hawaiian prints and shorts, it said.
Next? How about first? If you ask me (and you didn't) flip-flop sandals - or any of those shoes that make that back of the heel noise when you walk - have no place in civilized society. I don't want to hear your foot slapping on the back of your shoe. Seriously girls, it's enough with the flopping shoes. Nobody needs to hear you coming before we can see you. Put a strap on it.
Can we get all 50 senators to work on that?
Now, let's talk about the visible underwear...
.

3 comments:

Ladyred said...

I {briefly} watched the draft. I don't understand much of it so I don't really care. I fill my head with enough useless information, so I just want to enjoy the game of football without getting into all the detailed crap involved.

"Kind of like being at one of those go-go joints where the dancers have B.O. You're happy to see her, but she could back it up a little."

That cracked me up. I can't really relate since I haven't sat up that close to a dancer, but I can imagine lol

Kate Michele said...

I sold all my stuff that was worth anything last year...did pretty good.....how ya fairin'?

Sparky Duck said...

I love the visible underwear look. After the first round, and then the Eagles pick, I only snuck in on the draft, luckily just in time to see Brian Leonard of RU get drafted.

give your guy lotsa pets