Saturday, May 5, 2007

One more thing

So, there I am, foolishly watching ESPN2's coverage of the SemGroup Championship, scheduled to run from 3pm to 5pm. It's getting close to 5pm and the leaders are still on the 14th hole. "There's no way they are going to play 4 holes in 8 minutes", I say to myself. Sure enough, it ain't happening. The coverage was scheduled to go until 5, and at precisely 5:00:00 pm, they left Oklahoma for their next program.
"Well, it must be something pretty important", I think to myself. At this point, I have stopped talking to myself and started thinking to myself. Surely, it must have something to do with the Kentucky Derby or some landmark sporting event - right?
Wrong.
They were stopping their coverage of an LPGA tour event with the leaders having 4 holes left to play to show us ... wait for it ...
The O'Reilly NHRA Midwest Nationals Qualifying. Drag racing. Qualifying. Not even a real race, which would have been bad enough. They were only qualifying to race - probably on Sunday, when the final round of the SemGroup Championship is scheduled to be televised - from 3 to 5.
So, now I'm thinking that Sunday night's Phillies/Giants baseball game on ESPN will end at 11:00, like it says in Yahoo's TV listings, even though they may only be playing the 8th inning. That's only fair, right? Once they get to the end of their scheduled coverage time, the show should stop.
But it won't. It will continue to its conclusion, like all other sporting events. I can't think of any other sporting event that would not be televised until its conclusion, regardless of the scheduled time. Why does ESPN schedule 2 hours of golf coverage for something that will take 4 hours? It's tough being a fan sometimes.
Following that logic, the producer of the golf telecast will pull out 20 seconds before his partner is ready to have an orgasm.
It's only right.
.

No comments: