The time-period premiere of "Gameshow Marathon," 5.8 rating /10 share, put CBS on top at 8 p.m. ABC was second with the live (tape-delayed out West) final rounds of the National Spelling Bee, scoring a 5.0/9 for the hour. A repeat of "So You Think You Can Dance" was third for FOX at 3.8/7. Two episodes of "The Office" averaged 3.4/6 for NBC. A "Smallville" repeat on The WB topped UPN's "Everybody Hates Chris" and "Love, Inc."
It was close, but the Bee was second. Still, 9% of the sets in use were being used watching it (approximately 5.5 million viewers), while the precious American Idol usually gets around 25% and 17 million viewers. So, any ideas Simon had of asking contestants to spell the titles of the songs they're singing went right out the window.
Thursday's top 4 shows represented 32% of the sets in use. What are the other 68% watching? Judging from all the chatter, you would have thought that more people were watching the spelling thing. I hate to question the accuracy of the sainted Nielsen people, but ya gotta wonder.