Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Last Train to Blogsville

WHAT MY BRAIN IS THINKING:
Armpit hair. Gross and disgusting. Needless, yet exposed. Perhaps I'm the only person who took a confusion about armpit hair from my viewing of the NCAA basketball tournament, but what did you expect, knowing the title of the blog and all? All those arms in the air. It's distracting sometimes.
What's the point of the armpit hair? We have hair on other parts of our bodies, presumably to keep us warm, or give us an excuse to modify our appearance, but hair in our underarms? The only function I can ascribe to it is that it produces an odor. Where are my evolutionists to help me explain this?

WHAT HAPPENED IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARD:
Can you tell I'm weary of the blogging experience? Next week will bring one year to a close, and now more than ever, thoughts of closing it down occupy my sick mind. I feel as though I have covered almost everything of interest to me. A simple blog search will confirm that I've gone from the proliferation of storage sheds to the permeation of the military on our recreational activities. There ain't too much left.

Artistically, I should be at a peak, since great misery brings high art, but at this point I am questioning my function here. I have taken a creative punch to the stomach, and I'm a little doubled-over right now. Stunned, but not weary. Others have found that screaming so loudly has made them tired.
At this level, blogging is the equivalent of baying at the moon. We could send out e-mail's and accomplish similar results. If we rant, it accomplishes little more than a minuscule amount of sympathy and some mood leveling, which has value, but occasionally the energy expended does not equal the return. On a political level, we would be better off talking to twelve people in a bar than we are here and should not expect more than some personal satisfaction. I think we expect more. That is where the fatigue sets in, I suppose.

When I run to the Stat Counter, I find that the overwhelming majority of people who stumble onto this are here out of some ill-conceived Google search. Web searching is an art, and if you find my blog because you have done a search for West Deptford Little Miss Contest, perhaps your search criteria need some honing.

Blogging is time-consuming (everything is, literally) and perhaps the time could be spent in such a way that would bring in the same form of satisfaction that writing 800 words about the relationship between happiness and ignorance, but I'm not sure what it is.

I played music for a while, took some really nice photographs when so inspired, and I can ride a bicycle 100 miles in less than 6 hours, but none of those things produces the same inner satisfaction that a finely crafted essay does, and I can tell that this one will not give me the shivers.
It is a struggle for me to be interesting. Left in a room with only one other person, the burden I put on myself is staggering. Sometimes, I want to point at something behind them and run. Anything to keep me from feeling as though I have to be entertaining. I should put more pressure on the other person, but I'm the type that takes responsibility for stuff. That's why I'm more comfortable in groups of three.
How do you deal with the lack of motivation? Most of you have been at this longer than me. What keeps you at it? Do you find that time away speeds the healing process, or does it make you think that maybe you didn't miss it as much as you thought you would?
I'm thinking that if I picked up the camera, I would have less time for this. However, I might want to start a blog to post my photos.
I'm conflicted.

6 comments:

kimmyk said...

When Jamie was in the Army the guys "trimmed" everything because of the heat and sweating and mostly because when they would be in the field or out on a mission you could smell them from a mile away. That was a big no no. So the guys would trim all the hair on their bodies-I'm kind of glad about that really. I hate looking at nasty hair armpits. Blech.

As far as not wanting to blog anymore? I've been struggling with it for about 6 months. Maybe that's why I don't post as often I don't know. I'm trying to keep motivated. I just have nothing of interest to talk about. I like coming here-you make me laugh. I hope you continue, but if I come here and you're gone-I'll understand why.

Sparky Duck said...

we all need a break, but think of it this way. How do you feel when you look at the perfect picture. You wanna keep trying again, even if the next picture is out of focus and the next is too white.

I find blogging to be two fold. One, sometimes its just my chance to get the brain out of neutral. Other time, I am trying to craft the perfect post.

If your brain is out of neutral all on its own and your not a OCD freak like me, a break maybe good. You will wander back though, like Pacino in Godfather

bananas62 said...

ARM PIT HAIR.. HUMMM GROSS TO BE SURE, EITHER ON MEN OR SOME WOMEN.. ODEROUS.. STIFLING (SP?)
I seriously LOVE your site! I'm not sure how I found you... I think you were on someone's side bar and couriosity of MY SICK MIND just got the better of me!
BREAK if you must, but don't leave the ones who love you most!!! ;-)

Christy Forrester said...

Sometimes when I think I am out of things to say...I realize there is something I am purposefully avoiding....but that is just me...and I have only been at the blogging thing for about 3 months!

This condition of feeling exhausted seems to be milling around.... Maybe it is just time for spring to get sprung...and we can all get outside again to have new experiences to blog about?

As I did with Pam...I have to say that I hope ya'll keep blogging because it is a cure for my loneliness! You all make me think and make me laugh!

Keep the pictures coming! I love your long exposures! Digital rocks for night shots!

I always feel more comfortable in groups of 3 too! 4 works well also.
If it is just 2 people and the other is not feeling perky...I just chatter and try to entertain and I hate every moment of it!
What is that?!

Kate Michele said...

You will always have stuff to write about because people will always be doing stupid things...Hahaha

Firestarter5 said...

Kate Michele took the words from my mouth...