Friday, March 23, 2007

New Music ... well, kinda. Hey, it's new to me. Give me a break.

Don't you get sick of the same old, same old? Guitar, drums, bass ... blah blah blah. Wouldn't it be nice to listen to a mix of drums, baritone saxophone and 2-string bass? Sure it would. No? Well, did I mention that both bass strings are tuned to the same note? Now, what? I thought so.

Sometimes, I'm a little late to the party. But, better to be late than not to get invited at all. So, forgive me if you already know who I'm talking about. It's Morphine. The late, lamented avant-garde trio from Boston. I heard "Thursday" on local radio, and just as it was when I used to watch the Three Stooges, I thought it was new. It sounded new, since I had never heard it before. Not only was it about 13 years old, but the band had already broken up, immediately after singer Mark Sandman passed away in 1999 after suffering a heart attack onstage in Rome. So, geez ... I guess if you're going to be late, you may as well show up really late. No cake left, what's left of the food is cold and all that's left is some macaroni salad and a few stale rolls. Chow down.

So, here's my advice. If you have never heard Morphine, come late to the party with me. We'll still be cool, just to each other. If you like your music in the old beatnik style of the 50s, with just enough humor to keep it interesting and a slick sound that you'll be humming to yourself all day, do yourself a favor and download or, God forbid, go to your local music emporium and pick up a CD. I started with The Best of Morphine, but you could just as easily start with their first CD, Good, even though none of Good's tracks are on the Best of CD. Do what you want.

From Wikipedia:
When asked by reporters to describe their music, Sandman labeled it "Low Rock". One critical appraisal suggests that "Morphine immediately established a minimalist, low-end sound that could have easily become a gimmick: a 'power trio' not built around the sound of an electric guitar. Instead, with sly intelligence, Morphine expanded its offbeat vocabulary on each album."

So, ask yourself how often do you get to hear something truly original? Not manufactured by TV or industrialized for your protection. Real music. With feeling and style. No kidding. That they are no longer around, and one is gone forever and we can still enjoy their heart work is the joy of music. It doesn' t matter if you're late. It just matters that you're here.

If you're not into the adventure, check out Honey White, Thursday or Buena or one of Honey White live. I sincerely think that it is impossible not to like this music. I challenge you to get through the first 15 seconds of Honey White without starting to nod your head or tap your foot. Or both.
You'll see what I'm talking about. Click on the links to see videos and get the idea.
.

2 comments:

kimmyk said...

Ok, I gave it a listen, [Honey White Live] it was precisely :58 when I started to nod my head. I liked it, but it's kind of mellow. I think it would be somethin' good to have playin' if I were on a drive all alone in the car. Somethin' to have playing in the background when I was zoning out.

Anthony said...

It's definitely good driving music. But, if I nod my head too much, I get dizzy and drive off the road. So, in that case, it wouldn't be good driving music.