Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Older Child Seeking Adoption by Middle-Aged Couple from New Jersey

Just so you'll know, the other $390 million winning lottery ticket was unearthed on Monday. Locals, of sorts - from Cape May County - or what we here in the more densely populated areas of New Jersey refer to as The Sticks.

The Messner's. A nice couple in their late 50s who will receive $116,557,083 before the 25 percent federal withholding tax. A shade over $29 million goes to the money launderers in Washington, and the other $87 mil goes to the winners.

Their prize amount is half of the largest jackpot in the history of Mega Millions and in the history of North American lotteries. The largest single-ticket win in New Jersey Lottery's 36-year history, however, was claimed by Harold and Helen Lerner - the sole winners of a Mega Millions jackpot of $258 million on September 16, 2005.

Seriously, should the government be handing out such large sums of money to people over gambling? Wouldn't it be better if the prizes were smaller but there were more winners? I know, I'd rather see 8 people win $11 million than I would see one win 87.

It's already strange enough that the government runs a numbers game - for profit - you would think they would be interested in helping more people.

Wait ... I said government, didn't I?

.

2 comments:

kimmyk said...

I think IF I ever won the lotto I'd have a heart attack. But know if I do win said lotto Anthony-I will adopt you. I love you like you're one of my own...and you can call me Mia or Miss Jolie if it makes you feel better.

Firestarter5 said...

The Messner's think you're out of your f'n mind.