Sunday, February 18, 2007

A Question for the Panel

Do you tip at Subway?
I noticed a tip box on the counter of my local Subway on Sunday, and wondered if I was being a cheapskate for not dropping something in. My sandwich order came to $8.38, so was I supposed to leave $1.25? (15%) - I don't think so. There was a dollar bill hanging (obviously placed by the owner) and some loose change inside, so it wasn't one of those 'take-a-penny, leave-a-penny' deals.
OK, so the guy was making my sandwich, but does that mean I'm supposed to tip?
What say you, blogger buddies?

6 comments:

Me said...

Leave the poor dude a tip. Unless, of course, you catch him doing something nasty with your sandwich.
Then just leave.
Without tipping.
But most of all, WITHOUT the sandwich.

Pam said...

never heard of tipping at a subway.

bananas62 said...

tipping at subway is like tipping at Starbucks, unless they personally come to the table and take your order, they've done nothing out of the ordinary. We are nickeled a dimed like crazy anymore. We have a local bar and grill that started doing that..only they would ask.."would you like to leave a tip?" They must have gotten complaints cuz...they don't practice this anylonger...and my answer is No, I don't tip.

Firestarter5 said...

I'd dump some change in there just to keep it out of my pocket, but an actual tip? Not at a fastfood place.

kimmyk said...

I've never heard or seen this before. Interesting. I probably wouldn't leave a tip, but it's probably because the owners are the ones who work there and they get all the profits so...weird.

Sparky Duck said...

I would probably leave the change, but thats a rarity since I use my debit card almost exclusively. But if I tip at Coldstone, I guess Subway could get some love too