Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The puzzling nature of my on and off relationship with Rachael.

Yesterday, my Bluetooth headset freaked out on me for the third and final time, so it is spending New Year's Eve in the trash dumpster. I visited AT&T's web site to seek out a new one, and was hooked up with Rachael, a chat room assistant designed to help me find the product I need. Here, verbatim is the chat I had with Rachael, complete with my comments interspersed.
You are now chatting with Rachael S., an AT&T sales representative.
Rachael S.:
Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I assist you with placing your order today?
Anthony: I need to know if the Plantronics Voyager 521 headset is compatible with my Pantech Slate.
Rachael S.: I will be more than happy to help you find the accessories that best fit your needs.
That little non-sequitor should have tipped me off as to the tone that our chat session would have. Who's "more than happy?" I don't understand. Is that like giving 110-percent?
Rachael S.: I will check up on that for you, may I have your zip code please?
Anthony: 08051
Why does she need my zip code? Am I at Radio Shack?
Rachael S.: The Pantech Slate does have bluetooth capability.
That wasn't my question. Non-sequitor number 2. I forged ahead...
Anthony: Will any Bluetooth work with it?
Rachael S.: Most of them should, however there is a chance that it might not be compatible.
Typically vague customer rep answer. Either it will or it won't - and you can't hold me responsible either way. Thanks for the tip. I think I knew that going in. Based on that answer, I could be a customer rep for AT&T.
Anthony: I guess I should visit the store and speak to someone to be sure.
Rachael S.: You are more than welcome to.
Even though I have to go out of my way to visit the store. It's obvious that this "representative" is clueless. I wondered if I was part of a fraternity prank.
Anthony: OK, Thank you.
I said thank you, even though I should have just closed the chat window. I'm too polite.
Rachael S.: Your welcome.
Now we have spelling issues to deal with. It's not "my welcome" it's you're welcome. Grammar cop.
Rachael S.: Happy New Year!
Happy New Year? Seriously. And an exclamation point.
Rachael S.: Thank you for choosing AT&T. Have a great day.
I really didn't have a choice, since my phone is AT&T, I figured the Bluetooth might stand a chance of working if I got it there. "However, there is a chance that it might not be compatible." Thanks. Those were my marriage vows.
Whether or not I was speaking to an actual person is up for debate. They told me I was, but judging from the conversation, I'd say the chances are pretty slim. They seemed like system responses based on my questions. Either they need sharper reps or a better system.
Either way, something over at AT&T needs sharpening.
Call me Rachael, we need to talk. Or chat. We might be compatible.

7 comments:

susan said...

Ugh. Chat with pre fixed templates....

I don't know what is worse, that, or calling for help on the phone and being outsourced to another country that doesn't speak English.

Kate Michele said...

Susan: I hate that. In fact i make them transfer me until i have someone that speaks the language of the country i live in, so that i may understand whats happening.

OOKKKAAAYY
i hate these "chat" things. its a set up for frustration. and im with you on the 110%, there is no such thing.

xoxoxox

kimmyk said...

I didn't know they had simulated chat people. I'm so out of the loop!

I have no idea what bluetooth does or can do and I'm okay with that. Jamie rolls his eyes everytime he talks about bluetooth this or that...*shrugs*

Anthony said...

I'm not sure it was a simulated chat. The grammatical mistake at the end has me thinking it was a real person.
I suppose I could have asked, "Are you a real person?"
I imagine an answer like, "Don't I seem real?"

susan said...

Bluetooth=

what happens when you don't brush your teeth properly and Crest is left on the teeth.

I guess I won't make it in stand up.

Anthony said...

You know, if you leave those lumps of toothpaste harden in your sink, they make great after-dinner mints.

susan said...

In theory that works fine Anthony, but what if the cat likes to sleep in the sink?

Ah, cat breath minty fresh, and no fish smell.