Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Shout-Out to Vikings Fans (in Minnesota)

Here in Philadelphia, the Eagles have a full-house for every game and a waiting list of over 60,000 people. So, figure that every season ticket holder would have to be eliminated in some bizarre Cowboy-related terrorist plot, and there would still be a couple thousand people who couldn't get tickets.
Now wonder how, in Minnesota there are still 11,000 tickets remaining for Sunday's playoff game between the Vikings and Eagles. In spite of the fact that it's 6 degrees in Minneapolis and going down to minus 6 later tonight (not including the wind chill), there are still so-called Vikings fans who hold season tickets and don't want to attend a playoff game. A playoff game that is likely to be the only home game they get.
As a frame of reference, I am a Phillies season ticket holder and would have considered myself for psychiatric evaluation had I declined the playoff tickets I was entitled to last season (or the season before). Isn't that part of the reason you hold season tickets? It's for dibs. I got dibs on (among other things) game 4 of the (fucking) World Series. Never mind the fact that the playoff tickets cost as much as the entire regular season, we got to go to 3 post-season games. I had the time of my life.
What's wrong with those Vikings fans? They aren't the Vikings fans of my youth. The ones who would sit in frigid Metropolitan Stadium and root for Bud Grant's "Purple People Eaters" in spite of the fact that they were perennial Super Bowl losers. It's the point of being a fan that matters.
This current crop of fans faces a potential TV blackout of their team's playoff game because they can't cough up $30 for a ticket.
Seriously, if you can't sell-out a playoff game, you should have your franchise revoked. I don't care about the history, you're out.
You should be ashamed of yourselves. They play in a dome. It's 70 degrees inside.
Pussies.

1 comment:

susan said...

Somehow I don't think the state that voted for Jesse Ventura for Governor as "pussies"but I agree with you with the point of view I have never seen an Eagles game but I have seen a lot of Giants games. Sitting in the cold watching football bundled up - yes. Watching it in a dome in shorts- hell no!

And yes, would love to have season tickets for that team.