Friday, September 21, 2007

Weather or not

I just don’t know sometimes.
Are the local news stations so hungry for ratings that they will stoop to baiting us to watch? Yes, they are. So, I guess I do know, don’t I?
Thursday night, during The Office, local weather guy Glenn “Hurricane” Schwartz cajoled us into tuning in at 11 by saying, “See how the coastal storm will affect our weekend weather, tonight.”
Sure Glenn, I’ll hang around for another 3 hours and wait for you to guess. Let me run out and buy a lottery ticket too. I have the same chance of being right as you.
Rather than be suckered into watching stories about local fires, traffic tie-up’s and missing pets I decided to get some shuteye and allow the weather events to transpire as they will. Then, this morning I did what any right-thinking person would do when curious about something – I went to their web site. Here is how the coastal storm is going to affect our weather this weekend:

I guess the coastal storm is going to miss us, but those mid-80s temperatures and sunny skies sound like a real problem. I'm sure that when Glenn came on at 11 he said that "The coastal storm is not going to affect us, and I'm sorry I alarmed you earlier by implying that it would." That's what he probably said.

I pictured hundreds of people, waiting around for the weather forecast, wondering if their outdoor wedding was going to be ruined or their kid’s soccer game would be cancelled. Nope. Sun and clouds, just like a lot of other days. I can't imagine that treating your viewers like that is a good way to build a long-term audience.

Thanks Glenn. I hope you got a good night’s sleep, too.

2 comments:

MBKimmy said...

weather men suck! They relaly are stupid! My Guys at work will call and say can you turn on the tv and see what the man says? i am like idiot if it is raining it is raining ... don't ask that man?!

Anonymous said...

on the other hand weather women rock.

Actually, they both suck.