Saturday, September 22, 2007

A little follow-up

Wasn't it just yesterday that I wondered about our local weather forecast? Sure it was.
Sometimes, I think maybe I'm a little too rough on our local weather people. After all, they have high school diplomas and nice suits. Plus, there's all those fancy weather gadgets that the stations must pay a lot of money for. That's why their forecasts are so accurate. It's the combination of their extensive education combined with how nice they look and their ability to color maps so nicely.
Scroll down to Friday's post with the image of the NBC10 forecast. I don't know what they call it. The one on the ABC affiliate is called AccuWeather, like that's supposed to make it more trustworthy. Generally, they're all the same. Whatever it's called, they painted a pretty rosy picture for our weekend around here. That's why I was so surprised to wake up Saturday morning, expecting to prepare for our weekly 8am bike ride with the shop.
It was foggy, which isn't unusual, but there was something more than just the fog. The sidewalks were damp, which indicated that it may have rained recently. I don't have any fancy weather gadgets here in the condo, so I'll use my layman's knowledge to determine that wet sidewalks equals prior rainfall.
I bagged the ride for two reasons. One, riding through fog is like riding through a light rain. It isn't long before you're soaking wet. Two, it looked to me like there was more than just fog. Without fancy weather gadgets, I was at a distinct disadvantage. Or was I? By 9:30 it was raining pretty heavily.
By noon, the forecast had changed to "30% chance of showers", which was odd because (a) it is already raining and (b) is it really a forecast if it is for the same day?
It stopped raining later in the day, but now it's 1:15 and pouring rain. Again, I have no gadgets. They're saying "sunny" for Sunday, and we have another ride scheduled. I'll check the sidewalks.
Meanwhile, I think the weather people still cashed a paycheck this week.

5 comments:

the Book of Keira said...

I love fog... I like to disappear in it.

rattln along said...

Anthony,
Ever notice that most of your commenters are female? Me thinks you have a secret to getting the ladies to respond to you. :)

Ladyred said...

I plan on finding a bike shop when I get to the Atlanta area so I can go on rides. Of course maybe I should ride by myself for a while since I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Hopefully my boyfriend will keep his promise and ride with me.

I just carry an umbrella in my truck. That way I'm covered. Unless of course I'm not in my truck when it's raining. Then that isn;'t good. That happens on occasion. Get that random ass rain and you are like "WTF?"

You would think also that doctors with all their fancy gadgets and shit could accurately determine how long someone had to live. Whether they had a terminal disease or not. Then I guess they'd be making a whole lot more money eh?

I love apples (random thought)

Ladyred said...

inserted after ....'when it's raining'. "and I didn't bring my umbrella with me into the building"

Sparky Duck said...

good i wasnt the only person stunned by Saturday mornings weather