Thursday, September 13, 2007

Georgie on the Tele

I admit to knowing very little about foreign politics, and particularly little about the Middle East, other than they seem to hate each other times pi-squared, so it gets confusing for me to keep up with the cells, policies and hateful slogans for all of them. With that in mind, I tuned into the President's TV show on Thursday night, mostly to see how much older he looks now than a couple years ago.
The first thing I noticed was a strange parallax between the Tele-PrompTer and his eyes. He was maybe seeing that speech for the second time, and he stumbled as he read. I kept creeping over to the right side of my screen so I could catch his gaze, but the bastard wouldn't look at me. Sumbitch.
NBC had the speech in hi-def, so lucky me, I got to see his puss in broad detail, and I'm pretty sure I could make out scales under the make-up. Yeah, definitely scales.
He rambled on a bunch of the same-old, same-old about his policies and supposed goals - stuff I'd heard before - and I got this odd DejaVu thing a couple of times. Hard to tell, though, whether my skin was itchy from that or just from him. I think it's both.
Then he trots out the "letter about a dead soldier". When in doubt, turn to mourning and creating a nice martyr that we can all relate to. Cheap, if you ask me - and you didn't.
But mostly, it pushed The Office back a half hour, and I got all out of rhythm. New shows start in two weeks, with the first four being one-hour episodes. It's one of the best shows on TV, and even though it's popular and all, I bet it doesn't last as long as the War in Iraq.
The President's attitude seems to be that we'll wipe [those people] off the face of the earth. Well, how many wars have accomplished that lofty goal? Wars kill bunches of people who are replaced by more bunches. The sad part is that the longer the war lasts, the more kids get cycled in. It practically feeds on itself.
I remember meeting a kid in a local pub who was getting ready to be shipped out to Afghanistan. He said, "I'm not supposed to be telling you this, but they've got this thing planned out until 2011." That was about 2 years ago, and I'm starting to think that the kid knew what he was talking about.
I just hope he got home.

4 comments:

Sparky Duck said...

The dead soldier letter made me physically ill. It was same old same old until he had to try and cherry pick to tug at our heart strings. W really is just a bastard.

Gotta go look out for homeland security and the NSA after that comment

Kate Michele said...

I didn't watch it...does this make me a bad American?

kimmyk said...

I didn't watch the speech. It's always the same. Nothing changes.

Now, I've never watched The Office or that other show you watch that Jamie loves. What's it called? Earl somethin. Anyways, never seen 'em.

I hope that boy got home safe and sound. Breaks my heart.

Your writing has taken a different tone the past week or so...what's changed in you? You kind of have this sort of more relaxed attitude and you seem to be writing whatever it is that you're thinking. I like it. Keep it up!

Susan said...

I'm so glad I missed it - just his voice or one nano-second's view of that eternal smirk and I just want to smack him.