Sunday, February 4, 2007

Super Bowl Distraction


I buy wine based on the label. There, I said it. I'm a wine idiot ... sue me. The last one I bought had 3 mooses on it. If it has a cool label and it's less than $15, I'm all in.

White with fish or red with meat? Who gives a .... Give me a hopping kangaroo or a lot of colors. I'm a kid in a liquor store. "Look, mommy! Moose!" What a jackass.

I bought one of those cat grass things last week. So, now I'm growing cat grass on my window sill. Will the cat eat it? No. What the Hell am I going to do with all this cat grass? Anybody know if I can smoke that junk? Hey ... if the cat ain't gonna eat it...

Those Volkswagen commercials with the guy from Fargo doing the German accent really irritate me. Who thinks that a thick German accent is going to sell cars in America? When I hear it, all I can think of are Nazis and concentration camps. But, I drive a Ford, so what do I know?

There was an ad in the newspaper for the Philadelphia Auto Show, and there are always sports figures doing appearances, as if the cars aren't enough of a draw. The ad says AND DON'T MISS PHILLIES SHORTSTOP JIMMY ROLLINS, WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 7th. NO AUTOGRAPHS PLEASE. OK, so what's the point of the guy showing up? Are we just supposed to go and look at him, like we're in a zoo? I'm thinking I should go just so I can watch the ensuing arguments.

More people should know who Peter Hammill is. Wikipedia lists 35 albums, but I think there may be more. His first one was released in 1971, after he left Van der Graaf Generator, and he just released one called Singularity last year. If you're interested in expanding your musical horizons, I can tell you where to start. Patience, Sitting Targets, The Future Now and A Black Box to begin. They're on Amazon.

Fewer people should know who Taylor Hicks is.

Punxsutawney Phil. Jesus, what year is this? I can't believe we give this nonsense five seconds worth of attention. We're still tied-into superstition and theater. The lead story on the news, while there's more important things to concern ourselves with ... like this. Meanwhile, it's freaking cold. Like I need a rat to tell me. Wait ... I was talking about the one in the White House.

Previous Blue Man Group Acronyms of the month:
DNMMFAWFIAAEWSSP - Do not mistake me for a wizard, for I am an elf with shape shifting powers.
ROFLISIAGOTF - Rolling on the floor laughing. I'm serious, I actually got on the floor.

Some people think I'm becoming a Blue Man Groupie. Maybe it's because I'm going to see them on March 10, March 28 and April 19....after seeing them in Las Vegas in January ... I don't know. You people are crazy. They're like musical crack. Once you do it, you can't stop. Potato chips, those Presidential quarters - save one ya gotta save 'em all - Beer nuts.... They're on tour, and I can't be held responsible if you go and decide that you have to see them 4 times in two months. Hey, I'm just saying...

I'm ready for baseball season. Now. Really. Let's start. I'm not kidding. Sports in this city stinks, and the ancillary stuff stinks even more. The football coach's kids in road rage and heroin induced driving incidents; the quarterback's mom is all over everything, the hockey team stinks and the basketball team traded away Allen Iverson. I'm ready for summer and the inevitable disappointment, preceeded by months of anticipation. Like my marriage.

I could go for a greasy Wendy's burger right about now. I'd eat it in two minutes and regret it for days. Like my marriage. What?


OK, so I've got the Beltway Boys on the TV. I know ... stop. Anyway, the two nitwits are discussing the coming 2008 presidential election, and who would make the ideal Republican ticket (gag). I guess anybody can get a TV show? So, the one Boy looks at the other one (lovingly) and says that his ideal ticket would be John McCain-Jeb Bush. He was serious. Let me tell you something, in this public forum. If those two supreme jackasses get nominated, I'll start packing. If they get elected, I'm outta here. Who's coming with?

15 comments:

kimmyk said...

i buy wine based on the pretty bottle too. but i dont drink it, i just leave it sit in my kitchen for years. i'm waiting on a reason to open the bottles.

i guess as long as you're not drinking it out of a box you're golden.

your template is all out of sorts my friend.

kimmyk said...

oh y'know it looks ok in IE..just all jacked up in firefox.

oh, and while you're out getting wendy's will you get me a single with cheese,pickle,ketchup and onions please? a baked potato with sour cream and an iced tea? thanks, you're a love.

Anthony said...

Fixed. Thanks, Kimmyk for the heads up. You're a dear!

I think the YouTube I posted F***d it up. Wasn't all that funny anyway.

Stay warm.

msliberty said...

Whoa! I hardly recognize the place! Looks terrific!

I chose wine by the label too! Trader Joe's always has a great selection!

msliberty said...

Ok...you must be playing with the templates. Either that, or all the studying I've done today is causing me to hallucinate!

Anthony said...

Still playing. It's 2am. Must. Stop. Now. Sleep.

Pam said...

LOVE the new template!!

There's too much here to comment on everything. So, I'll just pick a couple.

The groundhog thing - I agree. Ridiculous. Although my 5 year old enjoyed it.

You DO seem like a blue man groupie. As long as you don't sleep with the band members, I think you'll be ok.

Still bitter about that marriage, huh?

Pam said...

Oh yeah - the McCain/Bush ticket (I think I blocked it). The only thing worse, I suppose, would be a Brownback/Santorum ticket.

I guess I'll be back to perusing job ads in Canada and New Zealand. sigh.

Firestarter5 said...

Marriage? Oh, you mean all those unhappy people. Gotcha.

Me said...

ROFLISIAGOTF
ROFLISIAGOTF

On a serious note, OMFG!! Your new place looks AWESOME. I LUV it.

Kitty is gorgeous.

And on the John McCain-Jeb Bush ticket, here's my response.

ROFLISIAGOTF

bananas62 said...

OMFG!!!! First of all did you finally decide to smoke the cat grass? I'm totally ROFLISIAGOTF!!! Your cat is georgous! Love what you've done to the place! IT's you!
Did I ever tell you I had courtside seats to the 76ers vs Golden State a couple of years ago? it was great and AI is bigger than life... and well, if it means anything to you... the Kings have been sucking the big one as well. I suppose it will take a while to find their groove again!
It was a pleasure to wake up to you this morning! My headache is gone!!! ;-)

supergirlest said...

let's see iffin i can 'member what i wrote in here last night while things were amiss with your page...

the wine labels! we do the same thing. or used to. *sigh* as for labels - have you ever seen the line that ralph stedman drew? tres cool. i also like the label for 'house red.' we also used to be sucked in by names, 'fat bastard' and 'glamour puss' - as long as they taste good, i say! my all time fave is bonterra cabernet - just 'cause it's organic and delish. the label is sorta cool, too.

after i read that second acronym, i became it. awesome!

funny, i'd never heard of the beltway boys before reading your blog (much like i had no idea that there is a superbowl soon it seems?). guess what will stopped on late last night while channel flipping. yup. the beltway boys. their analysis of hillary clinton was completely bizarro, even for fox news.

Anthony said...

Pam: I suppose monster.com works in Canada, too?

supergirl: I haven't even gotten into the names yet! Since I'm wine-ignorant, names and labels are all I have. That, and those little placards they put on the shelves with the rating number.

bananas: Haven't touched the cat grass yet, although it's starting to get kinda tall.

Domestic Goddess said...

Blue Man Group rocks!

Dan Coffey said...

Since nobody's saying anything about your Hammill note, here is a hell yes! Singularity and the previous one, Incoherence are the most engaging things he's done in years. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but the heart attack seems to have done him good.