Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Scenes from the Road

We got a quarter inch of snow last night, so it's panic time in New Jersey.

The side streets are a mess. People bitch about property taxes, and when the roads aren't salted and the intersections are skating rinks, they have every right to bitch. Meanwhile, the groove that's worn from the car tires is making me drive on the shoulder. Slowly, I realize I'm way over on the right. And the light is turning red. Jesus. Even the Goddammed roads are Republican.

HIGHWAY RULE #1 - The big triangular sign says YIELD. It's for the people on the on-ramp, not the people on the expressway. We're doing 70mph and the guy in front of me gets on the brakes to let somebody in. I'm multitasking. High beams and horn. If I could have gotten my shoe off, he'd have gotten "the toe".

Tire spew from the wet highway kept my wipers and washer fluid going for almost the entire drive. I needed to have one of those Air Force re-fueling planes riding beside me, filling my washer fluid. I'm probably going to get eye cancer from spraying that stuff on my windshield.

Meanwhile, Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid's son Britt is getting hauled into court on his weapons and/or heroin charge. He's wearing a Hoodie and chewing gum. What. is with. the gum? The kid needs a shoe piece.

Now, I'm at work, **twirling finger in the air** where the Internet Nazis have pretty much shut down the service. Something called Websense has blocked DYNAMIC CONTENT, which means I can't get to my Yahoo mail, but I can get to the blog? I'm insulted. All this time, I thought it was dynamic. I was kidding myself. They have already blocked STREAMING AUDIO, so I'm stuck with static-radio or MUZAK. Pity me.
The bastards. I'm going out to my car to get my washer fluid. You'll next see me (in the hoodie) being hauled-in on Washer-Fluid Weapons charges. I think it's a misdemeanor in New Jersey.


4 comments:

Pam said...

we're supposed to get snow again this week. I am ready for spring.

I don't understand the micromanaging of behavior like that. Any punitive restrictions or big brother activities only serve to make unhappy employees. And unhappy employees only work when managers are around breathing down their necks, have no loyalty, and usually leave for a better job ASAP (if they can).

I'm not surprised they are doing this though. Fits in with trends all across the country. Asshats.

Sparky Duck said...

dont forget the gum on your perp walk

Firestarter5 said...

Websense is one of the top corporate IT tools in use. We have it on our system at work as well. Even though I dislike it, I understand why they use it. 99% of the employee's may be a responsible bunch, but all it takes is that one employee to save a picture or download a movie and send it through their work e-mail to someone else who doesn't approve of such things, and then the shit hits the fan.

Firestarter5 said...

We can e-mail all we like, but don't believe for a second that the guys and gals in the IT Dept aren't scanning any e-mail with an attachment included. I know damn well they do.

I always thought Anthony was from Boston? I must be thinking of Skin2Skin from Digital Eargasm.