Sunday, February 4, 2007

So, About That Super Bowl...

Complete domination by the Colts, as predicted by Sparky and myself. The score, however, did not bear us out. Stats-wise, (and an opening kickoff runback notwithstanding) it was one-sided. Close enough for jazz.

As far as the TV, it was a bunch of lame commercials. The only ones that made me laugh were the Letterman/Oprah promo and the beard comb-over guy. $2.6 million for 30 seconds. Otherwise, I think they came up short. I never figured out why advertisers would want to spend so much for so little. Who's writing this junk? Two auto mechanics kissing over a candy bar? WTF? Suddenly, I don't think Pam is the biggest automotive idiot out there. Comparatively, you're a genius, dear. Got any candy?
And by the way, um ... FedEx ... you're not weightless on the moon. For less than half of the $2.6 million, I could have told you that. Lame-Ex.

I gained a new found respect for Prince, though. Not only did he do a nice half-time set, but he did it in the rain as well. I'm not so sure I would have been anxious to strap-on an electric guitar in a rain storm.
Billy Joel also did a nice rendition of the Anthem. Not that I was surprised. Although, after the jet fly-over, the guy sitting next to me at the bar proclaimed, "Ya can't get more patriotic than that, can you?" Well ... I didn't want to get into a drawn out discussion of military vs. patriotism, but ... yes, you can get more patriotic than a song about a war we lost and big military instruments of destruction flying over a stadium full of people celebrating a television holiday. Maybe a little more patriotic. ... How about voting? That's a start. But, I digress.

As far as the gambling angle ... the missed extra point by the Colts in the first quarter wound up costing me $200, as the score wound up a point short of my block. Oh well, I suppose I'll have to go back to working for everything I earn.

The bartender won a big prize, though. For some reason, his block pool paid off in NCAA Final Four tickets. Those are going on Ebay, so I hear. Atlanta in March ... yep, sell the bitches.

Since I specialize in asking questions, here's one. Every year, the hats and shirts magically appear for the winner of the game moments after it's over. This year, the Super Bowl XLI Champion Colts stuff popped up. What happens to all the Super Bowl XLI Champion Bears stuff? Minutes afterward, Colts gear was on sale on Home Shopping Channel and on the heads of the Colts players. Meanwhile, you know the Bears stuff has to be there someplace in the bowels of Dolphin Stadium, waiting for the big comeback. Where is it? I suppose it's been shredded or burned in our great disposable product tradition. Personally, I'd pay double the price of the regular hat to walk around with a Super Bowl XLI Bears Championship hat, (I'm strange that way) but it probably goes against some made-up rule by the NFL (the No Fun League). I want a Bears Championship hat.

I'm looking on Ebay, for that and those Final Four tickets.

UPDATE: Courtesy of Firestarter5 and the New York Times, here's the answer.

5 comments:

Firestarter5 said...

I made $75 from tonights game, and you'll see what is done to the Chicago shirts and hats on my blog.

Pam said...

I made (and lost) $0 on the game. And no candy.

And I was just going to tell you FS5 has answers on his blog.

Me said...

Don't tell anybody, but I actually saw Prince in concert oh-so-many years ago. Sheila E was banging on the drums.
I watched the game but napped through the boring commercials.
Your side gadgets are super cool, btw.

Anthony said...

"Smart Ass Remarks" was my second choice as a name for the blog.

Sparky Duck said...

I need a life, I knew the answer to that question without looking