Thursday, December 11, 2008

Rub my StubHub.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. That's the saying.
For the past three years, I've ranted over the strange relationship between after-market ticket seller StubHub and Major League baseball. They advertise on the teams' web sites and now the teams are encouraging fans to sell their unwanted tickets via StubHub. So I joined 'em. In the spirit of President-elect Barack Obama, I am embracing change.
In addition to the 17-game plan that my friend and I have, I went on the Phillies web site last week and bought what they call a Six Pack - six additional games of my choosing of various seat locations. I picked up a Red Sox game, a Blue Jays game, a Braves game and a couple other plum items. I spent $326 on tickets that I plan on selling for much more than that to willing suckers via my newest, bestest friend - StubHub. The Phils had 51 sell-outs last year, and with the stink of "World Champion" fresh on them, it stands to reason that they'll have more in 2009.
At the current prices listed on the site, I can sell 4 of the games (keeping the two Orioles games I bought the plan for) for $682 - theoretically. That's just for 4 games. I can earn $356 and still see the Orioles games. Ain't that a bitch?
Yesterday, I got this little missive from the hated Red Sox, telling me that their tickets are going on sale Saturday. Guess who will be sitting by the computer waiting for an opening? Me.
In what has become an annual and highly anticipated ritual, fans will have the chance to purchase 2009 Sox Pax as well as single-game tickets to 15 selected games in April and May starting at 10 a.m. ET on Saturday, December 13.
Those Red Sox fans are suckers for a game ticket, and I'll be damned if I'm going to drive to Boston to watch them, so the next best thing is scamming a fan for a couple of seats to a game. Every Sox game is a sell-out, and why shouldn't I be a sell-out too?
Ya gotta love the Internet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to join them dude. It all makes perfect sense.

kimmyk said...

sounds like you missed your calling.

you could always sell them on eBay too. those tickets are such a rip off on there. (at least football)