Tuesday, May 15, 2007

More stuff in my head, spilled out ... blah blah blah blah

I’m going to miss The King of Queens. Monday was the last show. Sitcoms are dying, and KoQ was still running hot, and they were smart enough to leave before they ran out of steam. Kevin James is very funny, and the supporting cast was great. The show always made me laugh, and Leah Remini is still a hottie. Thank God for DVDs.

I am really sick of the banners and junk that run across the TV screen during shows. C.S.I. Next – I know, but I’m watching something else now. You’re watching King of Queens on CBS. I know, I’m watching it. Then, during Seinfeld on TBS, the screen suddenly split in two squares. One was Seinfeld, and the other was an NBA playoff game going on over at TNT. Really. I completely lost control of my TV. Hey – dumbass, if I wanted to watch the game, I wouldn’t be watching Seinfeld. Leave me alone. They don’t do that stuff during commercials, which to me indicates a lack of respect for their viewers. Imagine you’re reading the newspaper and somebody waves another piece of paper in your face while you are trying to read. Annoying, right?

Thursday night, over at my Alma mater Widener University, they are giving me an award for having the highest G.P.A. of any Accounting student in my graduating class. It was 3.75, which I didn’t think was all that high, given that there are always those 4.0 students who obsess over grades. I agreed to show up to accept it, but the whole award gig makes me uncomfortable. I am not very good at self-promotion, and in the business world, it keeps me in the background. I’m not even that sure I should be writing about it, but what’s the point of getting the thing if I'm not going to tell anybody about it? I’m looking forward to coming to work on Friday and rubbing the award in my boss’ face and ask him why I’m still in the engineering department.

It’s May, and football is still on the front page of the sports section. Does anybody remember when sports actually had seasons? Baseball runs from March to October, but they’re still playing basketball and hockey. The football team is having something they call a Mini-Camp, which is a glorified practice – and they still manage to dominate the newspaper and radio shows. Can we give it a rest? More is not always better, and I think I would enjoy football season a lot more if I could stop hearing about it for a week or two.

At work, our maintenance guy has to do some sort of daily upkeep on the rest rooms. When he goes into the women’s room, he knocks on the door a thousand times, screaming “Maintenance!” three or four times to make sure no one is inside. The last guy was fired for supposedly not knocking and screaming enough, and the woman who was inside happened to be our Vice President of Human Resources. [Talk about being a victim of circumstance]. It occurs to me that women are much more freaked out by having a man in their rest room then guys are about having a woman in theirs. It’s odd, since you pee in a little room with a door on it and we pee against a wall.

I gotta go pee now.

6 comments:

kimmyk said...

congrats on the recognition. well deserved. number crunchers i dont understand.

i dont want no guy in the bathroom cleaning when i'm peeing. no way.
guys dont care if a woman is in there because hes probably thinkin she wants him and all that. pfft.

Laura said...

i don't most guys notice...at least that has been my experince in the past...on several occasions. what can i say, i am a dufus sometimes. but seriously, i noticed, folks outside of the restroom sometimes noticed but the guys never seemed to notice.
thank fully, these days i don't accidentally walk in the men's room. my little boy points out the men's and women's rooms before i might make the mistake. thank goodness for 5 year olds!

Sparky Duck said...

well the phillies still stink, which is why eagles football is such a big deal. The biggest news is how awful Bobby Abreu has been with the yanks, which I predicted.

Oh, now I will have to do a Leah Remini tribute post just for you. She is hot.

What time should we show up for the Widener banquet. I will even forgive you for going there, just because its better then West Chester, ugh

Ladyred said...

I only just began watching the KoQ because I happened to catch a show in syndication. I really love a show that can make me laugh out loud, and this show did it. I rarely get to watch it because of other shows and other things going on. It's another show I will have to 'catch up on' by DVD.

I don't care about the men/women restrooms. I've gone into the men's room when there's a damn line for the women's. I mean come on, you guys have stalls too and I don't care about people hearing me pee. They just don't put that many toilets in our bathrooms. And I hate waiting.

Renee Nefe said...

I don't know about men in the women's room. I would probably feel a little freaked out at first, but if it was just someone cleaning I would be okay with it, I think. I think there's that whole "a guy could rape a gal in here" issue. A gal in the men's room isn't in there to rape anyone.

I enjoyed the KOQ finale. Sorry to see them go, but they're in sindication so they'll still be around.

Thanks for stopping by, I did answer your question.

msliberty said...

I'm going to miss KoQ too!

(Had a very nervous moment when I thought they might split for good!)