Monday, May 14, 2007

Somebody worth rooting for...

This story didn't get a lot of play nationally, mostly because it involves women's golf, but I thought it was something good, which seems to be in short supply lately. I heard about it while watching the Michelob Ultra tournament on ESPN2 last weekend:

Mi Hyun Kim, an eight-time winner on the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) Tour and champion of last week's SemGroup Championship in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, announced after her win that she will donate $100,000 of her winner's paycheck of $210,000 to the United Way Greensburg Disaster Fund to aid the victims of the tornado that destroyed the Kansas town last weekend.

"I was just happy that I won the tournament," said Kim. "Sunday and during the week, the tornadoes came out of the middle of nowhere. I felt like I needed to do something for them. Winning a tournament on its own was a good thing, but I just decided to donate some money."

"Honestly, I made a lot of money in the United States on the LPGA Tour," said Kim. "Most of time, I get the money here and donate it to South Korea. But, I want to help people here, too. The win was a surprise for me and I think God gave it to me like a special present or He is using me like, 'Okay, I give you this, but after that you give to help the people.' "

Holy crap - somebody actually gets it. Good for her.

3 comments:

Kate Michele said...

WOW.

Shocking isn't it?

Sparky Duck said...

thats a great story. Now we have to see how many KC Chiefs did the same thing. (I leave the Royals out of it because they are all paid about twice what she made in one year)

Anonymous said...

It would be even nicer if it wasn't so surprising, but every little bit of generosity you come across in this world is a welcome sign to me.