Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The mental dribblings of a bored thinker

Michael Nutter won the Philadelphia mayoral democrat primary last night. It strikes me as odd that a city with a population of 5.8 million, and 449,182 registered democrats, that a guy can be so excited that 104,299 of them want him to be mayor. He has 23% of democrats and slightly less than 2% of the population of the city behind him. The newspaper called it “a resounding margin” and “a message of change.” That’s politics, I guess. He will be the next mayor, since the city hasn’t voted Republican since Bernard Samuel in 1952. Now that would be real change. To paraphrase Harry Hartounian, “I wish I could get that excited about Nutter.”

Speaking of voting (and I was, just now), voting has been going on for baseball’s annual All-Star game which will be played in San Francisco this year. For the sports impaired among us, the rule is that the league’s team that wins the All Star game has home field advantage in the World Series. In other words, if the National League wins, then the Phillies would be at home for 4 of the 7 World Series games. So, riddle me this:
What is my incentive for voting for any good American League players? Wouldn’t I want a crappy American League team so that the NL would win and the Phils would have home field advantage during the Series? Did I just say that the Phillies were going to be in the World Series?

Speaking of baseball (and I was, just now) we need look no further than the games to see how life goes here at MSM HQ. On Saturday, the Phillies staged one of the great innings of the season, scoring 6 runs in the 7th inning after an hour rain delay. I went on Sunday, when they stunk up the joint for Mother’s Day. The last 2 games have been classics, with last night’s game ending on a walk-off home run by Carlos Ruiz, of all people. I’m going tonight. Rain is expected, of course. Stinker to follow.

Speaking of stinkers (and I was, just now) I did not watch Dancing with the Stars this season, and now I find that I have no reason to start. Dancing partner [slash] hottie Cheryl Burke has been eliminated. They hooked her up with somebody named Ian Zierling, who I didn’t even know was a star, but that’s TV for ya. He was on 90210, which I didn’t watch either.

Meanwhile, they are announcing the network's TV seasons for 2007, and CBS is doing theirs tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that The Class is on the schedule. More on that tomorrow.

I gotta go pee.

1 comment:

Sparky Duck said...

you want the good news or the bad news?

Good News:You saw Cole Hammels throw a 7 inning no hitter.

Bad News:The Class joins Jericho in the abyss

Weird News:Phillies in the Playoffs, let alone the World Series?