Wednesday, December 24, 2008

One icy Christmas Eve.

This morning, the roads were coated with what the news people call "Black Ice" (always blaming the blacks) and cars skidded all over the roads in the morning rush hour. The thing that instantly came to mind was that the salt crews were nowhere to be found during all of this. The local TV weather people tout their "Mega Doppler" radar and other such expensive gadgets designed to either get us to tune in or be scared (or both) of the impending threat, but apparently none of them was able to warn the gang at PENNDOT (the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation) that the roads were going to be icy on Wednesday morning. That seems like the least they could have done.
Meanwhile, the icy roads were the top story on the evening's news broadcast. Seems to me like a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Among the nonsensical crap that went on during the day was the usual last-minute shopping by men (mostly) who were either clueless as to what to buy for "sweetie" or clueless as to the date and what day Christmas fell on this year. HINT: It's always the 25th.
The local malls were jammed with dumbasses wandering about with shopping bags filled with stuff that will probably be returned on Friday. But, it's the thought that counts, right? If that's the case, then the lack of thought counts for nothing.
On my way home from mom's tonight, I noticed that the local Walgreen's parking lot was filled with cars and people (presumably) stocking up on last-minute pain relievers and cold packs for their Christmas Eve needs. The flashing sign out front (if you could see it over the vehicles) proclaimed that they were "open all day Christmas." Holy fuck, is that really necessary? Close the damned place and let your employees enjoy a day off. If, for some reason, somebody needs a last-minute Tylenol, maybe they'll realize it's Christmas and the believers are at home dancing around their Druid-inspired tree, opening those last-minute gifts, eating leftover ham and cursing the Friday that they have to return to work with a hangover.
The stores are open all day Friday, for your last-minute gift-returning needs. As for me, I'll be searching out a Chinese buffet, because nothing rocks Christmas like some General Cho's chicken.
Merry Christmas, bitches!

4 comments:

susan said...

You get Tylenol from the Quick E Mart. People who work there don't celebrate Christmas.

Within one mile from my apt there are two CVS, a Walgreens and they are putting in an Eckhart.

I think WAWA is also open tomorrow. I love Wawa.


Yes, Chinese rocks tomorrow, I will be eating that or going to the local diner. Anything but Denny's.

Happy Festivus Anthony.

Kate Michele said...

Can I come have chinese with you? Cuz that's kickin the hell out of my xmas.

The ice was wicked here this morning I watched an ice truck do a complete 360 in the middle of my street! Quite entertaining really. :D

Merry christmas baby.
Kissssses
Xoxoxo

kimmyk said...

We had black ice. Didn't know it was there til I rear ended the guy who was sliding to the left of me. Good times.

I was gonna tell you somethin' but I forgot...

when I remember...oh yeah, I'll be back.

Firestarter5 said...

Merry Christmas Anthony!