Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sunday crap.

We got one of those cold rains last night. The kind that sticks to things like stairways and windshields. After the scraping and slipping, what was left over were trees and shrubs that had a white glow. Making something out of nothing.
Meanwhile, I'm trying to control my cholesterol without resorting to prescription medication. So, I'm taking pills that wind up costing me more than what a prescription would cost, but it's a matter of principle now.
One of them says to take it "a half hour before meals." Don't tell me to do something a half hour before I do something else. I'm not in control of my life to that extent.
The Eagles lost today. Big deal, right? I know. The thing that kept coming back at me was how the game announcers kept telling us that they were "in command of their own destiny," because all they needed to do was to win in order to make the playoffs. That's a phrase that gets used a lot in sports. In truth, no one is in command of their own destiny when there is another team involved in the outcome. Who among us is in charge of our own destiny in any phase of life?

4 comments:

kimmyk said...

beautiful picture anthony!

susan said...

Agree with Kimmyk.

Anthony- Eagles?

Giants girl here.

Check by my blog, I just gave you an award. I love reading your blog so much and wanted to reciprocate .

Sparky Duck said...

Yet the Eagles can still get in the playoffs

Anthony said...

kimmy: thanks. Right in the backyard, so to speak.

susan: nice to be honored in my lifetime.

sparky: The league is so watered-down that making the playoffs is like being the best ballet dancer in Cleveland.