Thursday, June 5, 2008

You call this a vacation?

My week off from work is winding down. Today was spent in Maryland at the Bulle Rock golf course watching the LPGA McDonald's Championship (presented by Coca Cola). After two straight late-nights at Dave Matthews shows (and yes, I did think of you), I couldn't wait to get up at 6am and drive 65 miles to walk 6,630 yards (3.76 miles) with my favorite athletes - particularly Paula Creamer, whom I walked the course with today. Paula missed at least 4 easy birdie putts on the first 7 holes and I think her first inclination was to heave her putter into the lake, but she still had 11 holes to play. She finished one-under par.
Paula's group was finished around 2:00pm, and I had the chance to go back out and walk the back 9 with Lorena Ochoa, Morgan Pressel and Karrie Webb, but I needed to get back to do my Thursday night 28-mile bike ride with the shop group - and my feet hurt. I know.
The good news is that I'm going back on Friday, and since Paula's group teed off early (9:16am), she'll get a late tee-time on Friday, so I can sleep-in a bit. Today, her group went out just behind Annika Sorenstam's group, and for a minute, I considered walking with Annika, since she is retiring after this season, and it's the last time I'll be able to watch her play; but I couldn't dis my girl. I'll walk with Annika on Friday, because I'm a sentimental guy, and I think it might be cool to see her play before she hangs it up. I can only be so loyal.
Friday will also be my final day on the course this year. The forecast for the weekend is Hellish, and even with liberal doses of sunscreen, a bucket hat and sunglasses, there's only so much sun-time my fragile, aging skin can endure. High temperatures in the mid 90s with increasing humidity will allow me the luxury of watching the final two rounds on the TV.
Annika finished the first round at 2-under and only 4 strokes off the lead, and the leader is somebody named Emily Bastel, so you know that ain't going to last. There's still a chance that a little history can be made.

5 comments:

kimmyk said...

how come you never talk about you golfing?

do you golf?

sorry to hear your week is coming to an end....went fast.

why can't regular work weeks go as fast as vacation weeks?? that sucks.

glad you had a good time at the concert...

Anthony said...

I'm not a golfer. Don't own clubs and don't want to give up bike riding to play. Maybe when I retire?

I screw up the demographic because I watch golf but don't play, which I understand is odd.

Sparky Duck said...

what 102 is not worth Morgan Pressel and Paula Creamer??

Anthony said...

If I could do 102 with 10% humidity and a cloudy sky - then sure!

Kate Michele said...

::smile::