Sunday, June 1, 2008

A little known advancement in civilization.

BEIJING (Reuters) - On Sunday, China became the latest country to declare war on plastic bags in a drive to save energy and protect the environment. Under new regulations, flimsy bags under 0.025 millimeters thick are banned and shopkeepers must charge for carrier bags. China, which consumes 37 million barrels of crude oil each year to manufacture more than one trillion plastic bags, is following in the footsteps of countries such as Ireland, Rwanda and Bangladesh. Italy is due to introduce a ban by 2010.
So, I guess that puts the U.S. behind some so-called Third World countries in the category of sensibility. I've grown to hate those plastic bags almost as much as I've grown to hate the giant vehicles that cart them around. Now it's time for our so-called lawmakers to do something that may actually help us - God forbid - and help us keep pace with the rest of the world. Oh wait - they're working on that Stimulus Package that will save our economy 600 dollars at a time ... oh ... I didn't get mine yet ... never mind.
One reaction to the Mixed Martial Arts garbage that CBS subjected the nation to on Saturday night was that their broadcast may have "turn[ed] off a large segment to the country to what is a classic and compelling sport." What is classic and compelling about a couple of people inside a chain link fence beating each other senseless? Calling it "arts" is a mockery to begin with, and it remains to be seen whether we will be subjected to more of it. Suffice it to say that it is a sad commentary on society that such nonsense is broadcast on a major network in prime time when children are able to watch. Meanwhile, we can't show two people making love and it is a major event when two people of the same sex kiss on television, yet we can (and do) show two people beating each other senseless without protest. Can someone explain the logic behind that? What a stupid world.
My week will be much less violent and significantly more civilized. This is the week that the LPGA plays the McDonald's Championship in Havre de Grace, Maryland and I will be there for a significant portion of it. On Monday I will take in the Pro-Am competition and Wednesday I will be there for the practice round, as I was last year - as faithful readers will recall. Weather permitting, I'll be around for a round or three through Sunday.
In the meantime, there are two Dave Matthews Band shows at our little amphitheater in Camden on Tuesday and Wednesday, so I'll be moving rather quickly for a couple of days at least. The good news is I'll have plenty of blog material for the week, and a good number of golfer-chick photos to share.
The bad news is that I'll have precious little sleep in between, but at least I won't be watching anyone beating anybody senseless. So, I have that going for me.

2 comments:

cactus tree said...

"what a stupid world"..good quote

i hate the plastic bags, but they are helpful when cleaning out the litter box.
i'm about as poor as paycheck to paycheck,like a good lot of us...
i got my stimulus check...they sent me $300, because i got more than $300 back on my income tax..
i bought bread and milk.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I'm of the mind that there should be a mandate that all plastic bottles and containers should be number ones and twos.

For those who don't know, those numbers represent the only plastic that can be recycled.