Friday, June 6, 2008

It's a little about golf, but it's more like another rant.

BLOGGER'S NOTE: Compare the weather forecast box below to the one I put on Wednesday's post and see how, in merely two days, the forecast can change significantly - then tell me if you think these guys know what in Hell they're doing. That wasn't the rant.
Rather than bore you with details of another fine day on the Bulle Rock golf course, I'll give you a few details, then launch into yet another of my rantings.
Today was the last day before a wretched heat wave ruins another weekend, so it was probably my final day at the LPGA McDonald's Championship. Today, rather than follow one player through the entire course, I decided to follow several players, hopscotching through the groups and seeing a few holes with each.
I started with the five-star group of Ochoa, Pressel and Webb. They started in the morning, so I was able to walk the front 9 with them before I had to leave to join Annika Sorenstam's group, who teed-off at 12:37. Of course, Annika is retiring this year, so I felt I owed it to myself to watch her for the last time. She missed quite a few easy birdie putts before I left to join Christie Kerr, who made quite a few easy birdie putts, so I know it wasn't me. I spent most of the day with Suzann Pettersen, who is the number three ranked woman golfer, but a bit hard to like. She isn't nearly as personable as Paula Creamer (who is?) and I keep waiting for her to take over the game, but she doesn't seem strong enough to beat Ochoa right now.
Later, I sat under one of the few shade trees at the par-3 7th hole and watched a few more groups come through and ended the day with Annika as she finished up. Altogether, I was at the course from 8:30am to nearly 5:00pm. A long day to be sure and another 7,000 yards of walking at least. However, I got home in time to watch most of it on the Golf Channel at night.
The photo below is today's autograph booty. Top row - Liselotte Neumann, Sophie Gustafson and Jimin Kang (Psalms 23:1) a nice kid, who I told to "go out and kick their butts this weekend". Bottom row - Christina Kim and Suzann Pettersen, playing partners today and polar opposites.
Here's the rant I promised.
I keep hearing junk about how we're being oppressed by high gasoline prices and people are fed up. Meanwhile, as I stopped at a fast food franchise for a drive-home chicken sandwich, I noticed at least six cars in the oddly named "Drive-Thru Window" idly idling, burning costly gasoline. I parked my car and went inside (more walking) to find nobody in line at the counter. The place was empty - on the inside - just like the heads of the dopes waiting in their running vehicles. Apparently, we aren't angry enough or spending enough money on gasoline to force us to move our asses. When will that happen?
The drive to and from was equally exasperating. I set the cruise control at 70 and found that I passed nearly nobody in the 65-mile trip to and from Havre de Grace, Maryland - all of it on Interstate 95. People are still driving like madmen, weaving and braking through traffic with no regard for the amount of money they are throwing away by behaving like children. I say, they get what they deserve and the next person who complains to me about the high cost of gasoline, I will immediately reply, "Well, if you'd stop driving like a jackass, you'd save a little of that money", and I don't even have to see them because I have a high probability of being right.
I have another one about the ensuing trip to the grocery store, but I'll save that for Saturday. One rant at a time.

3 comments:

kimmyk said...

yeah give me rants in small doses.

you're collecting quite the booty of professionally signed golf balls these days anthony. whatcha gonna do with 'em all?

Anthony said...

I have 11 so far.
They make little plastic cubes that hold the balls and keep them from getting dusty and rolling all over the place. I need a dozen of 'em.

They're nice mementos of my visits, since they're all on Bulle Rock logo balls. It looks like 2009 will be the last year for the tournament at Bulle Rock, so there will be a little history to them.

kimmyk said...

so thought i'd drop by and see what your thoughts are on hillary's decision to drop out and support barack?