Thursday, June 14, 2007

Make up your own headline

Finally ... a headline I can get excited about ...
Now, I can start getting those 20-year old's to start looking at me. I'm your daddy.
Meanwhile, some guys are at Oakmont playing a golf tournament. Something called the U.S. Open, or so I hear. The girls are taking the week off, so I might tune in. This story on Yahoo News talks about the autograph seekers waiting in the hot sun for players to sign stuff.
By Wednesday afternoon, some autograph seekers were already posting their goods online. Several white U.S. Open flags, featuring Oakmont's squirrel logo, were selling on eBay with as many as 50 autographs on them. Bids on most started around $199.
Pikers. That hat I had autographed at Bulle Rock last week ... you'll pry it from my cold, dead hands. And Paula's pink golf ball -- I might be buried with that baby.
On reflection, it was as great a week as I have had watching any sport, and as long as none of them beats up John Daly, they have a fan for life. Even though, I'll bet Annika or Suzann could take him. You'll forgive me for going on and on about it, but no one I know really cares much for the ladies golf, so this is my only outlet. They're playing the ADT Championship in West Palm Beach, Florida in November. Methinks that would make a Hell of a vacation.
It appears that reports of President Bush's wristwatch being stolen were greatly exaggerated. Shucks. However, stealing is running rampant at your local Wal-Mart:
NEW YORK (AP) - Shoppers at Wal-Mart stores across America are loading carts with merchandise - maybe a flat-screen TV, a few DVDs and a six-pack of beer - and strolling out without paying. Employees also are helping themselves to goods they haven't paid for.
Maybe if they paid people a decent wage, or didn't convince us that we cannot live without the crap they are stealing, or figured out a way to increase the standard of living for people at the low end of the economic food chain they wouldn't feel the need to resort to stealing. Merchants like Wal-Mart are victims of their own marketing. Tell us we need junk and don't pay us enough to actually buy it, so the evil shopper takes over and, lacking usable credit or the will to find it, steals. It's pretty simple, really.
About 47 percent of the dollars lost came from employee theft, while shoplifting accounted for about 32 percent, according to the National Retail Federation report. Administrative errors account for 14 percent, while supplier fraud accounts for 4 percent. The remaining 3 percent is unaccounted for.
Unaccounted for. The perfect crime and imperfect grammar. Is that which is unaccounted.
Eduardo Castro-Wright, president and CEO of Wal-Mart's U.S. store division, briefly acknowledged the theft problem in a mid-May conference call with analysts. He cited shrinkage as well as increased markdowns and higher inventory for dragging down first-quarter profit margins. "We are concerned about shrinkage and are investigating the cause and are taking steps to correct it," Castro-Wright said.
Eduardo, my friend ... we are all concerned about shrinkage.
We so really are.

6 comments:

kimmyk said...

I don't that the kind of shrinkage he was talkin' about you dork.

I have a friend who is now dating a man who is 15 years older than her..and it boggles my mind. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just not my cup of tea.

I'm sure you have no problems gettin' a date. Liar.

Anthony said...

Moment of truth: I haven't been on a date since 2001.

Sparky Duck said...

Internet for chicks, baby, internet for chicks.

If you dont get buried with that pink ball, whats the chances of leaving it to me in your will?

Shrinkage just makes things more impressive later.

Anthony said...

The Internet was actually the source of the last date(s) and they were interesting - I'll say that much.

Interesting.

Kate Michele said...

I like older men actually. Chad was the closes one to my age that I dated.... and he's seven yrs older.... But none of them looked like my dad!

Date man!! You need to get out there.... if only for the "tension" release. Haha. ;)

Ladyred said...

I'm catching up on posts hence my many comments heh. I prefer my men older but no way do I want my daddy! Chics I swear.

Oh yea, I've witnessed stealing, even told the sales people, clerks whatever you want to call them, even the managers and all I get is "we can't do anything unless we actually witness/see it." Um what am I? So sadly, I don't bother to report it. I feel like I'm wasting my breath. Plus half the clerks could care less. They have probably done it as well.