Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Questions and ironies

I wish I knew why my nose runs when I eat. Like a mental patient, I have to have a tissue with me at meals. If I’m at one of those fancy places (or a place that thinks they’re fancy) that has the cloth napkins, I’m very uncomfortable.
I’m seeing no end to my Ebola business. Every time I think I’ve run out of things to sell, along comes something else. Recently, I uncovered my old Matchbox car collection. They would be worth more if I still had the box, but I think you’d have to be borderline psychotic to have kept the box. Ebola must be a haven for people who collect stuff like that.
I put up a raggedy old football card from 1935 that someone gave me 15 years ago that I figured would maybe fetch 5 dollars. There are 4 days left in the auction and I’m almost embarrassed by what somebody is willing to pay for it.
Dr. Robert Cade, the guy who invented Gatorade died yesterday of kidney failure. I find that ironic. Some of us are old enough to remember Stokely's Gatorade in that weird glass bottle. For a while, the caps had NFL team helmets printed on the inside. If I still had them, I might put them on Ebola. Since its introduction, Cade said the formula changed very little. Sure, if you say so. I remember that green crap (it only came in orange and green) and it tasted bitter, but we drank it because it was supposed to be good for us. It probably was, at least it was better than that sugary multi-colored junk they sell now. Stokely's sold the rights to Coca Cola and they fussed with it just so that it was sweet enough to be a beverage rather than a sports drink. Like a lot of good things, popularity ruined it.
I don’t fully understand how The Twelve Days of Christmas works. Do you count backward from 25? Is that Day 1 or Day 12? What’s the First Day of Xmas? It’s a stupid song that we have all sung at one point or another, but do we really know what we’re singing? It’s the 'God Bless You' of songs. Most Xmas music has dated lyrics. What’s a bough of holly? Has anyone ridden in a one-horse open sleigh?
Washington Redskins' safety Sean Taylor died last night after being shot in what appears to be an attempted robbery of his home in Miami. I don't think we've come that far as a society if we continue to allow handguns to be owned by citizens. Their only purpose is to kill people. They aren't for hunting or specifically for target practice. There is only one ultimate target, and that is another human being. It's a sad state of affairs when government is powerless to do anything about the sale of handguns because a giant organization believes that a 231-year old document somehow gives them the right to own a device that takes lives.
The guy that shot Sean wasn't in a Militia and chances are, he didn't even know which amendment it was that gave him the right to brandish the gun in the first place.
It's the second one.

6 comments:

Sparky Duck said...

Gatorade is so so so much better now.

Matchbox has gotta fetch some bigs bucks. What do ya think about selling some Hummels

Sean Taylor's death was shocking, but trust me, this was not random

Anthony said...

I haven't gotten the big bucks from the Matchbox's yet, but I still have a dozen or so left to sell.
I would think there's a huge Hummel community over on eBay. Take a good quality photo or two and put them up.

I'm thinking that to be a cop in Miami would qualify one to work just about anyplace - including the FBI.

I heard it was the second break-in of Sean's residence.

Isadora said...

:) so I'm not the only one whose nose runs as we sit down to eat. Then you always wonder, should you excuse yourself and leave the table or just do it there. Should you just pat or is it OK to blow?

Not sure where you are selling but eBay had always intimidated me. Just discovered that Hungary has its own version Vatera.hu that I'm enjoying a great deal. Amazing the stuff I've around the house that others are interested in. Will make moving so much easier. :)

Good luck.

annabkrr said...

You don't have a Coach bag for sale do you? My 14 yr old is demanding one for Christmas.

I heard it wasn't the first break in at Yaylor's either. I don't follow pro football so I'd never heard of him, but it's awful. He was so young. Guns are a scary mother effer to me.

rattln along said...

GatorAde is owned by Pepsi. That is why Coke has come out with their own brand and the flavor war heated up. I like the Blue PowerAde from Coke better than Gatorade.

Anthony said...

OK, thanks. I got my World Dominant Power Conglomerates mixed up.
What flavor is blue?