Friday, April 6, 2007

The Boys of Summer? I would like 2 minutes for rebuttal

Did you ever do something and think it was a good idea when you did it (like 'just one more drink' or changing cell phone providers) only to find that it wasn't? Last week, I bought a ticket for Thursday's Phillies game, called a "Businessperson's Special" (a.k.a. Unemployed slacker game) thinking it would (a) make for a nice 4-day weekend and (b) be a great day out for a ballgame, seeing as how the club is supposed to win and all. As it turned out, I spent three hours freezing my boys off at the ballpark watching Adam Eaton throw batting practice, and helped the club to its 0-3 start.
So it wouldn't be a total loss, I spent most of the time wandering around taking photos. However, with a game-time temperature of 43 degrees and 24mph winds, the camera seemed more like a task than a hobby.
At first, it seemed as though the day would turn out nicely, at least weather-wise. Soon, however, both the weather and the Baseball Gods would turn sour. The view from the parking lot was deceptive in its beauty. You can't photograph cold, but trust me...
The giant image of shortstop Jimmy Rollins greets me as I walk in. The concourse is open, and the wind whipping in made the rest room the only place of refuge. I chose the cold over the smell.
In the downstairs concourse, we have our little Smoker Zoo. This is where kids can come to observe adults in ridiculous behavior, segregated from society as a result of their disgusting personal habits. While this was going on, the singer was at the "land of the free" part of the Anthem.
That is the big sign that sits behind the "Bleacher Seats" in center field. The bell lights up and swings back and forth when a Phillie player hits a home run. That's the rumour.

Ashburn Alley is the concourse in left field where there are tons of food stands. They should have a cholesterol screening stand as well. A cheese steak and a Zocor, $20.
Those are the bullpens at the bottom left. Ashburn Alley along the right side. The Phillies had their bullpen moved to the lower level because the fans would lean over the railing and yell junk at them. The Orioles have a similar set-up in Baltimore. It's fun, after a few beers, to go out there and tell the opposing pitcher that his parents were never married.
As you can see, by this time, the clouds were moving in. I felt like John Candy and Steve Martin sitting in the back of that pick-up truck on the way to Stubville. "What's the temperature?"
"One."Long-time third base coach and all-around good human being John Vukovich passed away earlier this year. He was here forever, and genuinely loved and respected. The ballclub painted the third base coaching box in his honor, and the players are wearing a patch on their sleeve all season.The best view of our great city comes from the walkway that takes you up to the cheap seats on the third base side. It was so windy I could hardly hold the camera. The railing was shaking, so that was no help. I think the building was shivering, too.
Once you're up the walkway, there's another nice viewpoint that shows the old Spectrum (right) and the newer Wachovia Center, where the Sixers and Flyers play. That corner on the right is where Veteran's Stadium used to be, before it was imploded a couple years ago. It's a parking lot now.
On the other side, you can see Lincoln Financial Field, where the Eagles play. I've never been there, but they tell me it's nice. Around here, football tickets are a privilege. Thursday's weather would have been great for a football game, but ungodly for baseball. In one four square-block area, we have space for all four sports teams, plus concerts and shows. Sadly, there are only two places to eat and drink. I never figured that out. It's in the middle of warehouses and industry.

I did manage to find one, though. I hung with the game until the 6th inning, then ran off to a place called Bennie the Bum's, at the Holiday Inn where I parked. There, I watched the last 3 innings of the 8 to 4 loss in relative comfort while my various extremities thawed.
I'm hoping the weather improves soon. There's another afternoon game on the 26th, and I want another excuse to cut work.

4 comments:

kimmyk said...

WOW that place is huge.
Jamie and Adam drive up to Detroit alot to watch the Tigers play and I never go. This year I said I would. Baseball just isn't my sport, but I guess I could learn to love it.

$20 bucks for a cheeseteak and a Zocor huh? Good bargin. I think.

Sparky Duck said...

Of all the pitchers that come strolling into that joint and you get Adam Eaton. Thats like getting the fat chick that hangs out with the Hilton Sisters. Technically she's a girl.

bananas62 said...

lets look on the positive, you weren't at work!!! it looks like you could have had a nice day if it wasn't so cold.... Candle stick is like that too!!!!

Kimmy K , I hate baseball... but I love to go to the A's games and people watch!!!!! try it once! you'll like it!!!

Anthony said...

sparky: Yeah, I was praying for a rain-out on Wednesday so I'd get Hamels/Hudson.

kimmyk: If Detroit is anything like Philly, there's plenty to do besides watch the game.

bananas: A bad day at the ballpark beats a good day at work. Speaking of people-watching...the guy in the next seat was wearing SHORTS, proving that we are indeed all different.