Saturday, April 7, 2007

Fun with wind chill and other things

Indulge me while I take a break from watching paunchy men play golf. Thank you.

After yesterday's post about my travails at the ballpark, I wanted to see what the wind chill was. A 43-degree temperature with 24mph winds makes for a "real-feel" of 34 degrees, according to the calculator over at NASA's site. I was curious, since I think the wind chill is a ridiculous notion, as to what the wind chill was when it was 95. Factor in a 20mph wind, and it feels like 103. I thought the wind was supposed to cool us down?
Wind chill is ridiculous to me because I never really know what any temperature feels like. If it feels like 34 degrees, what does 34 feel like? I don't know, because when it's 34, the wind chill is 25. For practice, I go outside on calm days so I can figure out what real temperatures feel like. It's a hobby.
Has anybody besides me noticed this little note that comes up when uploading a photo on Blogger? Apparently, we have a limit, after which, what happens? I suppose we'll have to start deleting posts to make room for the new ones. On the bright side, I've been at this for a year, and only used 2% of my allotted space, so I suppose I have another 49 years of blogging before I have to start thinking about that. So I have that going for me.
In my ongoing quest for interesting new music, I may have found something. For some time, I have been hearing snippets of Umphrey's McGee on the local college radio station. They don't get a lot of exposure (which should have been a dead giveaway as to the quality) and I have a hard time diving into a band on the strength of one tune.
While poking around the Real Player site (where I download music), I came across them under the "Jam band" category, and downloaded Safety in Numbers, which came out in 2006.
Suffice it to say that I'm having trouble getting it out of my CD player, and the songs stick in my head so much that I wander around humming them to myself like a mental patient.
If you're a fan of interesting music, with a touch of jazz syncopation, a little thoughtfulness, great playing and some intelligent songwriting, this one is highly recommended. If you are not a fan of those things, well ... I really don't know what to recommend.
.

2 comments:

kimmyk said...

It's flippin' cold here that's all I know. Snow x 4 days = me crabby and fussy.

Now I wonder what's up with that storage thingy with Blogger? I haven't posted in 5 days [not sure if I will again either] and so I haven't seen it. Cheap sonsabitches. Gah, Blogger. *shakes head*

I wish I could get into Jazz music. I've tried...I just can't.

Happy Easter Anthony!

Sparky Duck said...

you should listen to Lewis Black's thoughts on wind chill sometime. Hilarious.

you could just get flickr for your pictures