Monday, January 29, 2007

I'll Miss This Too.

If there is anything totally irrelevant in today's twisted society, it's the Miss America pageant. For years, it was in Atlantic City. Now, it is housed in the only place that could possibly handle such extravagant nonsense - Las Vegas. "There she is, your ideal." Um ... no. To me, they represent the best and worst of society...People willing to go along to get along. Don a bathing suit, strut around like a display case and hope that a bunch of other people like you enough to give you something. Yuck.
They're probably all very smart women. Smart enough to take advantage of what life has given them, but to me they're too ... perfect.

I'm a guy (honesty), so I'm supposed to be excited by the prospect of ectomorphs parading around in swimsuits and evening gowns, but I really don't get it. Miss what, exactly? Oh, that's right ... it's a Scholarship pageant. Can you take an SAT in a bathing suit?

It's on the TV tonight, and I guess I'm supposed to watch it, or run the TIVO so I can get together with a bunch of my friends, eat Cheezits and make snide comments. Oh, wait ... that's what catty women do.

I'll betcha if you check the ratings (if there are any) that about 75% of the viewers are women, which I never figured out. I guess they like to sit around and make snide comments. I can't imagine a bunch of men watching other guys in bathing suits, and that makes us different, somehow. We don't dance with each other, either.

Fifty years ago, 27 million Americans tuned into the pageant, and the numbers have been sliding recently. Last year, 3.1 million watched, and this year, who knows? Maybe the politically correct moralism of the day has made people feel guilty about ogling women, or maybe bathing suits and high heels aren't that appealing anymore?

Or, maybe it's because it's on the CMT - whatever that is. I think it's the Country Music Television. Whatever it is, it isn't on my cable. Strange, that Country Music TV wouldn't be on in New Jersey, eh? Probably why the ratings are so shitty. It might not be the girls, it might be that more people would watch it if it were on my blog than will see the CMT.

The thing has run its course, and they're trying to pump up something that ran out of steam a long time ago. Are you going to be watching? It used to be that we knew who Miss America was, but that was a long time ago. Quick -- who is Miss America 2006?
Yep.
I don't know, either.

8 comments:

Pam said...

ectomorphs?? LOL!

I find all pageants to be rather creepy. All the woman look pretty much the same with different hair colors, and this plastered smile on their faces and a vacant stare in their eyes. Kinda like Fembots or something.

Honestly, I didn't even know that Miss America had moved. Or that it still happened. Or that someone won it last year. I'm too busy paying attention to politics, I guess.

Anthony said...

Hmmm ... "plastered smile and vacant stare..." Are we talking about the President or Miss America?

Don't confuse me like that! ;-)

Carmen said...

i find it hilarious that there's no CMT in New Jersey!

supergirlest said...

you'll love this. when i was a little girl, i'd watch it from beginning to end, with my pad of paper and pencil. i wrote down every score of every contestant. puke. what was i thinking?!

Kate Michele said...

ectomorphs....I had to look that up. Man I felt stupid...

Anywhos....It's like whatching Barbie Live. No thank you.

Me said...

The ONLY Miss America I EVER remembered was Vanessa Williams and that dust-up over her nasty photos.
And that Country Music thing? I tolerate Willie, but then, I've met him in person & he is totally laid back (probably stoned) and interesting.
The rest of that crying-in-your-beer music NEVER reaches my ears.

Anthony said...

For the record, I poked around the TV, and there was no Miss America to be found. No CMT. The Horror!

Sparky Duck said...

but I need to know, I had 5 to 1 odd on Miss Rhode Island