Thursday, September 21, 2006

Thursday Thirteen v. 2


My 13 Favorite TV Shows

Rules: No sports, no reruns and only national shows qualify. The list may change during the new season, since it looks like there are some good shows coming.
Since there are fewer sitcoms than ever, and I'm not a fan of the reality shows, this list was harder to compile than I thought.

1. My Name is Earl. The best ensemble cast on TV. Each one perfectly suited to their character. Jaime Pressly plays the best drunk in the history of television. If you're a Survivor viewer, time-shift Earl and soon, you'll be time-shifting Survivor.

2.The Late Show with David Letterman. The first half-hour is just about the funniest thing on TV. I've always preferred Dave over Jay. Jay strikes me as too phony-show biz, and belongs in L.A.

3. The Simpson's. It's slipped a little recently, but still shines.

4. Curb Your Enthusiasm. I don't have HBO, so I have to catch up with this by buying the DVDs. I'm always a year behind, but it doesn't matter. The DVDs are cheaper than the cable, and just as good.

5. Weeds. I don't have Showtime, either, so I watch the DVDs. Smart, funny and as edgy as anything on television. The odd subject matter makes it unique and worth watching.

6. American Chopper. It's been fun watching the shop grow from a tiny acorn to a huge conglomerate. The Teutel's are great to watch and true chopper artists. Sometimes the arguments seem staged, but fun nonetheless.

7. Pimp My Ride. I'd like to do a follow-up show and see what these cars look like a year later. Probably as trashed as they were when they first rolled in.

8. 60 Minutes. Still rolling along after many years on the tube. Andy Rooney deserves more time.

9. The Daily Show. A great lead-in to Letterman. Laugh out loud funny, and sad, since the news they present is based on fact. Does anyone remember who the original host was?

10. Cops. White trash on parade. If you're on this show, you're not calling your family and friends to tell them that you're going to be on television.

11. CBS Sunday Morning. Charles Osgood hosts this little news-magazine show. Usually, it's better than it's evening cousin, 60 Minutes. The stories have more humanity and are generally softer.

12. How I Met Your Mother. Hey, I told you this list was hard to put together! A little goofier than most of the shows here, but I like serials, and this one has an interesting continuing story line.

13. Saturday Night Live. Fading fast, and from what I understand, it's close to being cancelled. This was tough to pick, since I don't watch as much as I used to, but I'll go with history.

21 comments:

Kate Michele said...

What happened to my earlier comment??

Anthony said...

I'm having major issues with this F***** Blogger Beta. Big mistake changing over.
The original post was oriented in too narrow a block, so I did a cut-paste to another post and just screwed the whole thing up royally.
Now, the fonts are all whacky and I'm too much of a perfectionist to be happy with it, and too tired to fight.
Sorry, I deleted your comment when I took out the original post.

Pam said...

Original host of the daily show: craig kilborn, I do believe.

I love the daily show (& colbert report). My name is earl is pretty darn good too!

anthony - I have had to retype in order to get consistent font with beta. I have an html code book, but it's too much trouble to look up. Honestly, it's not worth the hassle - just leave it! It looks fine - I swear!!

At least we guinnea pigs can comment on non-beta blogs now.

Kate Michele said...

I don't even know what beta means...but you need to switch back!!! My picture misses being on your comments!!!!!

Jenny said...

I love to watch American Chopper and Pimp my Ride! Great shows...I think American Chopper is my favorite...well, besides House.

Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

sorry blogger beta is giving you fits too. i could kick myself for switching.
good list. i agree about snl.
my tt is up now.
laura

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

The Simpsons and the Cops we use to have but not anymore.
My TT13 is up too.

YellowRose said...

How I Met Your Mother is one of my favorite shows! Love it! And SNL is still up there, though it's not as good as it has been in years past.

Good list, Happy Thursday!

Caylynn said...

The only one I've watched is SNL. We don't have too much English-language TV here in Munich. Happy TT. :)

Wendy Ann Edwina D'Cunha e Pereira said...

okay, I watch Cops sometimes and I am not into the Simpsons at all. I have watched a few David Letterman, but we don't get Fox News anymore... The other shows.... we don't get here in India.

Happy Thursday!!!

-atomik kitten said...

Thanks for stoping by!

I love watching cops. :)

Carmen said...

For the linkies, go here http://www.blenza.com/linkies/wizard.php

you have to log in, and then Mr. Linky gives instructions.

Yes, your TV list is a guy list. Except for How I met your mother. I like that show, too, but it's always on opposite of something I'd rather see more.

Candy Minx said...

I watch a lot of these shows too...I love My Name Is Earl...what a show, what a premise, and I still love the Simpsons, also Pimp MY Ride. The thing I think about with Pimp My Ride...is these are not well off folks often students or young people...what happenes after like here they have this car with thousands of dollars of tvs and stereoes!!! I worry about these people driving around L.A. and their security! Do they get ripped off, so they have to move to underground parking what up?

Fun TT list, and thanks for dropping by mine last night
Cheers
Candy

http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2006/09/movies-in-chicago.html

Knitting Maniac said...

Love Jon Stewart. Just love him. He is hilarious!!!

Great list! Thanks for stopping by.

Jennfactor 10 said...

Good List! I mourn the days of Great SNL, but there are occasional sputters as it dies...

Red Queen said...

I only do sports on tv anymore- the rest of it is such a waste of my time- like sports isnt huh? Doh that was a dumb comment but anyway I am most guys dream girl-no soaps or sitcoms but I love Nascar, the NFL and college bball! Be blessed today and thanks for stopping by.

Anthony said...

Red: Are you sure you're not my ex-wife? That sounds like her to a "T" - not that it's a bad thing.

I only meant by "no sports" that I wasn't going to include stuff like the World Series or NASCAR, that I watch, but they're not specific programs. Maybe that's another 13 topic?

factor: Yes, it sputters, but we never know where the good parts are!

candy: i hope they're putting alarms in those $40,000 re-builds.

pam: OK, I'll live with it. It's like that 8am stain on the shirt that we have to live with the rest of the day.

Jane said...

I love "My Name is Earl". I agree it is one of the most hysterical shows on TV. I also love "Cops". My husband and I watch it almost every Saturday night!
Thanks for stopping by my T13 today.

Unknown said...

I love #'s 6, 8 and 13.
I wish I had more time for television.
Happy Thursday!

Jenn said...

My Name is Earl & How I Met Your Mother have got to be 2 of the funniest shows on TV right now. They are definitely tops on my list!

Natsthename said...

I love "Earl," "Weeds," "Letterman," and "Curb," too. Man, I've been watching Letterman since..well..since he had a daytime show! YIKES!