Monday, September 18, 2006

Bird Droppings

I’m not your typical football fan. I’m not your typical anything, but football in particular. I don’t take the games as anything more than entertainment. When my team loses, it’s a story with a bad ending, nothing more. However, folks around here view a loss as a personal attack, and yesterday was a Giant kick in the stomach.

The Eagles blew a 17-point lead with 14:40 left in the game as the New York Giants snatched out an improbable 30-24 win in front of 69,241 fans Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field. Some fans leaving the game were interviewed by our local newspaper.

"Absolutely disgraceful," said Mary Agnes Sullivan, 74, of Blackwood. "I've never been embarrassed to be an Eagles fan until today. My great-grandson could have coached better in the third quarter than that arrogant (Eagles head coach) Andy Reid. He should apologize to the fans for what he did today."

"It's not (expletive deleted) fair," said Ashley Colinaro, 31, of Mickleton. "You give your heart to something and they don't care. That's an absolute disgrace losing that game. I feel sick. If they don't care why should I?"

That’s right, Ashley. If you have a bad day at work today, nobody from the Eagles is going to shed a tear or get angry about it. Don’t feel sick. Feel disappointed that you spent $85 and got only anger in return. Mostly, you should wonder why you feel sick. Chances are, most of the angry fans felt more emotion yesterday then they would feel if a member of their own family were involved. That may be worth examining.

A friend at work was watching the game at home with his girlfriend. She arrived midway through the game, and the Eagles started to tank. “Get out, you’re bad luck,” he told her, and she left. She returned before the fatal overtime period, and the team choked it up. “That’s it, you’re banned from watching games here. You’re bad luck,” he said.

Get a grip, pal.

As far as I’m concerned, anytime there’s a woman in my house, I feel lucky, football notwithstanding.

4 comments:

Pam said...

You have GOT to be kidding!!!

If ANY man told me to leave b/c I was "bad luck" for his team, that would be the LAST time he EVER saw me!

Oh yeah, and the Eagles could tell who he had in his living room?? Really?!?

I often wonder why people get so wrapped up in 'their team'. Do they not have anything going on in their own lives to feel proud of? I mean, I can see if you bet a lot of money on a game and they lose...but otherwise, why get so upset? Or so happy when they win?

Anthony said...

I have no time for superstitions. It's ridiculous. If these people think they have so much power over events, then they should be buying lottery tickets - for ME.

Around here, sports is seen as an extension of your personality and city. Football especially.

Yesterday, as far as the fans are concerned, the Eagles brought shame on their ancestors.

Get a life, folks.

Kate Michele said...

If they put as much time on the "real issues" in the world as they do in their stupid superstitions, America would be better off all around.....

kimmyk said...

If someone told me to get out---oh have mercy! i'd stand in front of that tv...right after i threw it out the window.

I like football...but....not that much to get all crazy about it.