Saturday, May 30, 2009

Another of life's little oddities.

Every time an athlete signs a lucrative contract, the griping begins. "These Goddamned ballplayers make too much Goddamned money!" The guy complaining is usually by a guy wearing a uniform top and ball cap. What you never hear is anyone griping about what actors or TV stars earn.
Or supermodels. Here is a list that Forbes magazine put together of what the top 5 supermodels (should supermodels be capitalized?) earned last year.
Gisele Bündchen $25 Million
Heidi Klum $16 Million
Kate Moss $8.5 Million
Adriana Lima $8 Million
Doutzen Kroes $6 Million
I guess I don't live in the supermodel world, because I couldn't pick Doutzen Kroes out of a police lineup, so maybe I'm a little biased here. (For reference, that's her on the right) We live in a world where someone can earn a 7-figure salary based on nothing more than the way they look. Pardon me if I think that's a little screwy. OK, a lot screwy.
Men in the crowd will proclaim, "She's worth every nickel! Look at her!" and start drooling or doing something that men do when they see someone that is conventionally attractive, but you really need to take a step back and rationalize.
I'm different because I don't buy any product because a celebrity endorses it, and I wouldn't wear something that a celebrity wore for that sake alone, so I think that paying huge endorsement deals to models and celebrities is a waste of money. Products should stand on their own, and not need to be propped up by someone for money.
What do models do? They wear someone else's clothes, walk back and forth in a straight line and pose for photos. I'd like to see one of them hit a curve ball or throw out a runner trying to steal third base.
I could ramble on, but I think the point is that some things are just out of whack, and I suppose they'll always be. After all, nobody tears down a parking lot and puts up trees and once salaries for stuff like athletes, actors and supermodels goes nuts it doesn't go back.
A superlative
makes something out of nothing,
like supermodels.

3 comments:

junior alien said...

They are extremely good at self-marketing, or rather the apparatus behind them is.
But why not? The masses of asses love to watch them "beautiful people".

Reminds me: My 12-year-old daughter (who is surely excused because she's still young...) loves watching "Germany's next top model", which is presented by no-one less than Heidi Klum. As I refrain from watching TV in general, I had no idea what was going on there. I guess this show is an exact copy of a TV broadcast called "America's next top model" or something alike.

Anyway, my daughter kept begging me on her knees to watch that show with her at least once, so I would know what's going on these days.
And so I did. But what I saw was simply an aggregation of permanently abased teenagers and camera close-ups when these naive, trembling, tear-stained girls were brought to "trial" at the end of the episode and one of them fired by a Heidi Klum that played the scolding part even worse than in any kindergarten's Punch and Judy show.

Politely speaking, it made me want to throw up, then pick up an axe (which I don't have) and chop the TV set all into the tiniest pieces, accompanied by loud savage shouts on my part.
Unfortunately, I did neither of this. Instead, I tore my hair and kept investigating my daughter how she could like such junk. This made it clear to her that I am totally clueless.

My son instead, who is only eight, has given the show another name: "Jeremy's next top Trottel". The German word "Trottel" means "dumbass, jerk, sucker".

Any further questions?

Anthony said...

We have "America's Next Top Model" here. It's hosted by Tyra Banks. I looked it up - it's a franchise. There's one in every country. Check Wikipedia under "International spin-off versions of America's Next Top Model."

Of course, America is the prototype. We lead the way in trash.

Judging from the ads I've seen, your experience is about on the mark. It's humiliation television for the masses of asses.

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

junior alien said...

I guess walking up and down the catwalk is pure art, although it rather looks like anorexic fits.
My son sometimes imitates it. It's hilarious!