Thursday, January 15, 2009

Baseball in January.

One of the cool things about my new position at work is that I'm more on my own than I was before. As such, when the World Series trophy is on display at a nearby restaurant, I am free to take an extended lunch break and take a gander.
Chickie's and Pete's is the big-time local sports bar franchise. There are a few of them, and the one in Egg Harbor Township is the newest, I think. The trophy made a stop there today at 1:00pm, with Phillies broadcaster Scott Franske.
As expected, the place was jammed. I got there just before one and had to shoehorn my way through the crowd to get close to the thing. My aversion to large crowds and a minor case of claustrophobia made my visit brief. At one point, I entertained thoughts of actually eating lunch there, but one look at the place and those thoughts went out the window - if I could find one.

The Phanatic was there - natch - and here, he takes the time to embrace a fan. At one point, he hoisted his shirt up to block my camera. Funny guy - er - thing.

Check it out, Cubs fans. This is what it looks like.

Never mind that it's going to be at least two other places closer to home than this joint. I got to play hookey from work for an hour. Although, it seemed strange to travel out of my way to see a trophy. There's something strange about them carting it around and "presenting" it to us. I guess it's the thing to do?

4 comments:

kimmyk said...

so all that and no lunch?
that trophy is sparkly....ooooohhhhh. ahhhhhh.

i can only imagine the feeling in the air though. nothing like a bunch of crazy ass fans to kick the weekend off a lil early.

Anthony said...

I threw down a Strawberry Yogurt and some dried fruit at my desk before I left. Didn't think that was relevant to the story.

Most of the crazy ass fans will be back for the Eagles game on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing us Cubs fans what the actual trophy looks like. It has been a hundred years and i feel I may never see one brought to this city by the Cubs in my lifetime.

I did enjoy when the Sox won it a few years back.

Later, Kcoz

susan said...

Wow. That is a beautiful trophy. I've never even seen a picture of it before.



The Phanatic made me smile. lot of memories of girlhood at Veteran's Stadium.