Saturday, December 15, 2007

Fisheye Fun

As you recall (I'm assuming) I promised I would post some photos I took of my day in Washington on Friday. I decided to travel light and use only my 14mm fisheye lens. It has a 180-degree field of view and (as you can see) distorts the images, hence the name. One of my favorite things to do is photograph the METRO, Washington's wonderful subway system. It takes you just about anyplace, and I think the innards are particularly interesting. This is the train coming into L'Enfant Plaza. The flashing red lights on the platform tell us the train is coming. The only problem with doing these photos is that I usually miss my train. The sacrifices I make for my art. Geez.
It's a short walk from the L'Enfant Plaza stop to the East Building of the National Gallery. It's at the end of the Mall, near the Capitol building.
Don't be fooled by the Smithsonian METRO stop. It isn't as close to the gallery as some other stops. The original Smithsonian is at the other end of the National Mall.

That's the Calder mobile hanging from the glass panel roof that greets visitors when they enter the East Building. There are more Calder works in the museum, but we aren't allowed to photograph them. Downstairs, there is a small Rothko exhibit (below) that we are allowed to photograph.
From there, it was off to the Air and Space Museum, where they have the original 1903 Wright Flyer as part of a great exhibit all about the Wright Brothers and their historic airplane.

My favorite museum on the Mall is the Hirshorn, directly across from the Air and Space place. The exterior looks a bit like a space vehicle.

During the summer months the fountain is running, but I think it's just as interesting in the winter. This is where the fisheye lens comes in handy.

The featured exhibit at the Hirshorn is a collection of Morris Lewis works. He used a thin acrylic called Magna and drew it across the canvas to make some compelling paintings.

Downstairs, there is a coathanger sculpture by Dan Steinhilber.

Down at Mall lies the original Sminsonian buildings, where this little fountain rests, filled with some sort of blue material to simulate water.

For my Canadian friend, this is the building where all those screwy American laws are made. We call it the Capitol. Last year, they cleaned the exterior. Maybe soon they'll clean up the inside?

OK, so I cheated for this one and broke out the 50mm and cropped it. Sue me.
That's pretty much the photo album. As much as I love my good old Nikon N70 film camera, I might have to get me one of those new-fangled digital ones soon. I wasn't too happy with the CVS photo disc, although I did get a comment from the "inspector" at the CVS Photo Center that said, "These pictures were sweet!"
But not as sweet as you, my friend. Don't-cha just love the fisheye lens?

11 comments:

kimmyk said...

Definitely Suuuwweett indeed!

I love how the fisheye distorts photos in the coolest of ways. Most definitely worth looking into buying.

I'm gonna get me a Holga and the fisheye attachment...so excited about that.

Hey, what's up with that spider...it just freaked me out. Yuk.

Cool photos though. My fav. is the first picture and the third photo made me dizzy. LOL!

MBKimmy said...

I love the fisheye view! I love it!
Thanks for sharing!

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I'm an artist too, I paint mostly in oils but some acrylic. I love museums and it looks like you had a good visit. I really dig some of Rothko's stuff but Dali is my favorite painter. Picasso second.

I'm just getting into photography with a new digital camera and love the fish eye effect that you've got going in those pix.

Firestarter5 said...

We invaded the US and burned your White House. I think it's high time we invaded again and burned the Capitol Building. We can distract all of you by saying there are Muslims and Mexicans crossing into Texas. You'll all be looking the other way.

annabkrr said...

Pics are great Anthony! But I'm pouting that you didn't invite me to ride shotgun!!

the Book of Keira said...

I do indeed love the fisheye lens... these are some great pictures!

the Book of Keira said...

Oh, and that spider gives me the heeby jeebies in a bad way. It just scared the piss out of me.

Ladyred said...

i thought i left a long ass comment.....

Sparky Duck said...

well great, my pictures look like shit now

Ladyred said...

damn now i have to remember what i said......i do like a select few of the fish eye photos. I know you wanted to minimize baggage and probably maximize the scene, but people tend to overuse that lens. i do love the Capitol and the architecture with the dry fountain. The lens distortion is awesome in my opinion on those. the indoor ones would have been better captured with the standard lens. but great photos all around. seeing through others' eyes renews my passion as of late it's been quite dampened.....

Susan said...

Anthony I love your fish-eye lens!! Tks again for the link - these are so fun. Truly exquisite places - I'll definitely add the Hirshorn to my list next time :)