Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Nothing all that shocking, really.

WASHINGTON - The brother of Army Ranger Pat Tillman accused the Pentagon and the Bush administration yesterday of deliberately concealing the circumstances of the former football star's friendly-fire death in Afghanistan in an effort to avoid embarrassment.

OK.
In some ways, this qualifies as a front-page story, which it was today. In other ways, it does not.
First, it’s human nature to lie to avoid embarrassment. Second, look who we’re talking about here. These people would lie about a mixed-up lunch order if it made them look good. It makes me wonder how many other times something like this has happened to soldiers who do not have the high-profile exposure of a former NFL player. I’m guessing “lots”.
If you think that every family of every soldier who is killed over there gets the straight story from our government, you’ve got another think coming.

4 comments:

Kate Michele said...

Very true. This is true about a lot of the news though. Like when John Kennedy Jr died in the plan accident.... It was news yes...but was it worth all the coverage it got? Plenty of people die in plane crashes....but do we ever hear of them...do they get the same coverage? NO because they had the wrong name.

kimmyk said...

Same goes for Jessica Lynch. Her story was all for the cameras at a time when America wanted to believe in something good. If they only knew...

If you wanna know the story you can always talk to Jamie. But be prepared to hear the 'F' word every other word. He's still a little upset by all that and her. [It was his regiment {ranger battalion} that got her out.

msliberty said...

Such a good point, Anthony!

When I was heard this story on the radio yesterday I was thinking the same thing.

Ladyred said...

I'm sorry, but I just love Calvin and Hobbes....and as sad as it is about the story below, I think it's horrible either way how they died, but I think I'd rather hear a lie if someone I knew died by friendly fire. That's just me......