Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Blogging with a purpose

Unlike the angry mob who continually snipes at President Bush and his cronies, expecting them to kowtow to blogger pressure (that'll happen), there is something we can do that may have immediate impact with people who will listen.
It's renewal time for network TV shows, and a few are in trouble. As outlined by Inquirer TV critic Jonathan Storm in today's paper, the networks respond to the viewers voices. A nicely worded e-mail of support for your favorite show may help to save it from the ax of cancellation. He published a list of shows that are in trouble and a list of contact info for the networks.
You can read his entire column here.
My particular concern is for The Class, a smart and funny sitcom in an age where comedy (not to mention smart) is nearing extinction. I sent the following e-mail to the folks at CBS, encouraging them to keep it on the schedule:

I am writing because I fear that the ax may soon fall on a very good show, and I am hoping that enough people feel as strongly as I, and that The Class will be renewed for the 2007 fall season.

I am not going to try to analyze the difficulties that the show has had attracting viewers. All I know is that it has attracted me, and I never miss it - even in repeats.
The Class is a funny, well-written show with a nice mix of well-developed characters. In this era of game shows and "reality" shows, a good sitcom is hard to come by. I think CBS would be doing it (and its viewers) a disservice to fail to renew it for the coming season.
If ratings are the issue, I would suggest that you focus on the quality of the program sometimes. I can't imagine what would replace The Class that would be better. Television history is rich with programs that did not hit their stride in their first season (Seinfeld comes to mind), so I would encourage CBS to get behind the show and keep it on the schedule. Generally, quality wins out.

Here is the list of shows facing possible death, as listed by Mr. Storm in the paper:
ABC
The Knights of Prosperity, According to Jim, The George Lopez Show, Six Degrees, What About Brian
CBS
Jericho, The Class, How I Met Your Mother, The New Adventures of Old Christine, Close to Home
The CW
Gilmore Girls, 7th Heaven, All of Us, Veronica Mars
FOX
'Til Death, The War at Home
NBC
30 Rock, Friday Night Lights, Law & Order, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Crossing Jordan, Scrubs, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Here is the contact info:
ABC
Renew [name of show], ABC, Inc., 500 S. Buena Vista St., Burbank, CA 91512-4551 or here.
The CW
feedback@CWTV.com
NBC
Renew [name of show], NBC Television Network, 3000 W. Alameda Ave., Burbank, CA 91523 or here.
CBS
212-975-3247 or audsvcs@cbs.com
FOX
ask.fox@fox.com


So, if you see your favorite (or near favorite) show on the list, let the network know. Be nice. Use words like "suggest" and "I think" ... you know the drill.
Television is a wasteland of nonsense game shows and so-called "reality" programs that are neither real nor particularly entertaining. You will notice that none of them are on the list. Pity. You could write to tell them that, too.

I never truly understood the ratings game, since I have never been surveyed or metered. If the networks are responding to viewer mail, maybe they don't fully understand them either.

.

6 comments:

kimmyk said...

I don't watch any of those except maybe the occasional LAW AND ORDER.

I've not heard of probably 90% of 'em. No wonder they're getting canned. Poor advertising.

Carmen said...

I hope it works for you. I've tried several times to have good shows saved. Sigh.

Kate Michele said...

I use to watch 7th heaven in high school!! I didn't even know it was still on!! Well Huh.

Sparky Duck said...

ok lets see...

George Lopez and According to Jim only returned this year for syndication purposes this year. 6 degrees is already gone, I would say when I show goes off in November its unsaveable.

How I met your mother may survive for syndication purposes as well. 3 years is the magic number and they are at year 2.

this was already supposed to be the last year of Gilmore Girls.

studio 60 is too expensive to make. and while I am a sorkin fan, this show never caught me fully.

I need to save Friday Night Lights & jericho though.

Anthony said...

I'm not sure about the 3-year "magic number" for syndication. The accepted figure is 100 episodes, and that generally won't occur until year 5. There are rare exceptions, but it's probably hard enough to sell a short-episode run when it's compounded by low ratings.

You'll still see those publicity shots of casts cutting the 100 Episode cake, signifying that they don't have to work for a living anymore.

How I Met Your Mother ran out of steam for me when Ted stopped sleeping around and settled in with Robin.

I think Jericho has a shot, but Friday Night Lights may be done.

Me said...

ITMFA!