Wednesday, July 4, 2007

50 States - No Waiting

Happy Independence Day
It's a legal holiday here in the U.S. We don't have National Holidays like they do in other countries. Most of our stores and restaurants are open. I suspected that the local Commerce Bank would be open for business at least part of the day. A quick web search confirmed:
All of the nearly 160 Commerce Bank branches in the tri-state region will be open for business on Wednesday, July 4 from 7:30 a.m. until 1 p.m.
They aren't called "America's Most Convenient Bank" for nothing, although "nothing" is close to the amount of interest they pay on savings accounts. Guess who pays for those long hours?
As for me, bright and early at 8:00am I'll be out on the bike with a bunch of like-minded folk dressed in strange clothing in honor of Delaware, the first state admitted to the union and home of DuPont and Joseph Shivers, who, in 1959 invented Spandex, without which we would chafe.
Fact for the Day: In the 1970s, cyclists traded in their woolen shorts for "aerodynamic" spandex shorts, and the versatile fiber began to find its way into dancewear, tights and stretch jeans.
We'll be doing 50 miles - one for each state. Alaska and Hawaii are the hardest.
So, to celebrate the holiday, here is some good old American rock music to wile away three minutes and twenty-one seconds. It's Kings of Leon, one of my favorite bands. This is from their latest CD. I suspect that lead singer Caleb Followill wouldn't last two minutes on American Idol, but he has a distinct and charming style:


free music

2 comments:

Sparky Duck said...

and dont forget Gore-Tex was created there too, so you wont get your spandex all sloppily wet. Happy happy

Ladyred said...

Is there some kind of odometer for your bike? How do you track those miles, or know you've gone that many? I know it is a simple question, that you may even scoff at, but starting to find my way in the biking world I have tons of questions. I am actually planning on when I finish here and get a good job, I will be looking for a nice, good mountain bike and G-man even agreed to ride with me (which is no simple feat might I add). For now I'm just reading and investigating.....

Hope you had a good day!