Saturday, February 28, 2009

Where does the money go?

I don't know what it's like in your state, but here in New Jersey we have to register our motor vehicles and renew that registration every year. I for one, don't understand the process, and the fact that I pay $56.50 for the privilege makes me understand it less, if such a thing is possible.
I bought my car in 2005 and paid to register it to drive in the state. Since I haven't sold it, why do I have to continue to pay $56.50? I don't know what the registration fee pays for other than the people who the state pays to process my registration fees. It's like bridge tolls that pay for the people to take the tolls. My head is spinning.
Now, our federal government is going to spend $13 billion dollars (that's a lot of dollars) to take the census in 2010. Why? To count people that we already know are here? Isn't that what birth and death records are for?
In New Jersey, we have to present several forms of identification to prove that we're official citizens of the country. It has something to do with the terrorism threat, they say. So, I had to go down there with five forms of ID to prove that I've lived here legally for the past 50 years. Don't you think they'd have noticed by now? Politics.
So, we're going to pay $13 billion to count people next year. If you're smarter than me, you'll go to the government's web site and apply for a job. They're paying between $12 and $18 an hour to count people. That's better than you can get at the local aquarium to count fish.
Where does the money go?

2 comments:

kimmyk said...

in one of my classes right now we are discussing the us census bureau. the funny thing is, for a govt. agency when you call the number listed an actual person picks up [by the second ring no less]and actually talks to you about anything you want to know.

Firestarter5 said...

Toll roads. Bridge tolls. Yearly registrations. Yeah, we may pay a shitload in taxes up here, but if I had to pay money to cross a feckin' bridge, there'd be hell to pay.

Canada's population is around 40 million.