Monday, February 23, 2009

He has no genitalia and he's holding a sword.

So they gave out those Academy Awards on Sunday night. I'd be all twisted up, but the only two movies I saw were "The Dark Knight" and "The Visitor" (best actor nominee). From what I hear, I'm one of twelve people who saw "The Visitor." I recommend it, by the way. I can't speak for the other eleven.
There's kind of a homophobic thing going on with that "Milk" movie. It's hard to explain, but if you mention it to some people and tell them you liked it, they look at you funnily (queerly, so to speak) and tell you how horrible it was that it was even nominated, so imagine my glee to see Spicoli win the Oscar. I'd be happier if it actually had anything to do with my life.
I don't get worked up over awards shows like I used to. Age and maturity have given me a more healthy perspective and generally, their winning or losing doesn't affect my life, so why should I care?
I do get a kick out of the self-importance of the affair. Actors take themselves so seriously, and their "craft" is the stuff of biblical legend, or so you'd think, to hear them say it. It's strange to me to see a group of people gathered to congratulate themselves. It wouldn't be so bad, but then they put it on national television for 5 hours and make a grand spectacle of it. There should be a rule that an Oscar broadcast should not be as long as any nominated movie.
The red carpet thing is a festival, too. "What are you wearing?" they ask, as if we know who Diane von Furstenberg is. I'd love to go and say, "I'm wearing American Eagle Outfitters." That should be good for a lifetime of free shopping. Something tells me that would be a more popular choice.
I guess the Academy Awards will never be as irrelevant as Miss America has become, and that's kind of hard to explain. We still love the movies, in spite of the fact that it costs ten bucks to see one. They can't seem to price us out of the theater, no matter how hard they try.
All I can say is, thank God for Netflix and wide screen television. I'll see "Milk" in April.

1 comment:

kimmyk said...

this was the first year i watched parts of it.

i liked how the past winners spoke to the nominees. i thought that was pretty cool to witness.

as far as the clothes this year-i think the dresses were all ugly. i dont recall one dress that stood out as "wow!" but then again i didnt see angelina other than sitting down.