Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lentil soup.

The older I get (every day) the less I understand the fascination with religion. I suppose that translates to an eternity in Hell, which I can't imagine is any worse than what I have on Earth.
As I was leaving work tonight, a co-worker blurted out, "You didn't have meat today, did you?" Perplexed, I responded, "Well, I had a salad but it had chicken in it - but it probably wasn't real chicken."
At that point, I realized what the point of the question was. Today apparently, was Ash Wednesday - whatever that is. I don't subscribe to the Catholic religion (largely based on guilt) so my conditioning is to do what I want when I want and if necessary, ask forgiveness. That's the point of religion, as I see it.
It's a guilt-based following that prides itself on sacrificing something because they feel that if they don't, an eternity of damnation awaits. That's the same kind of thinking that permeates gamblers and other superstitious types who believe that what they think affects what happens later. If they talk about something and it doesn't happen they are made to feel responsible.
Religion feeds on human nature and superstition. We don't know what the future holds, so we feel as though we should do "the right thing" in order to guarantee a future of happiness. Or at the very least, we should do what we're told because the people telling us must be right.
What if they're not?

3 comments:

Kate Michele said...

i never do what im suppose to or what is viewed as right or even what im told to do

obviously this is why my life is shit. ::-P

kimmyk said...

I was raised strict catholic. i observe ash wednesday and lent. this year i am giving up excess spending. normally i give up things like chocolate (can't have it cause it's bad for me so giving that up is like an already given) or cussing (i cuss like a sailor-mostly in my head but still...) and that's not going to happen. so...

i think (in my humble opinion) that people should do the right thing just because it's the right thing to do and not for any future plans of happiness or going to heaven or whatever they choose to believe is out there.

i'm a quiet believer of religion. i dont agree with what some preach or how some behave behind the pulpit all in the name of christ, but for me having faith in something better than all *this* keeps me grounded. jamie calls me naive. firestarter5 calls me crazy. they're two peas in a pod...i listen to them but pay no attention.

the whole fish on friday is gonna get me though-cause i dont do fish.

Anthony said...

That's OK, because they keep changing the rules. It's not like any religion is "right," it's just what works for the time.

It's like a big organized voodoo curse.