Saturday, February 28, 2009

Twitface.

So there. I deleted my Twitter account. I realized that I couldn't keep up with constantly updating my life on the Internet. Once a day on here is really too much sometimes. The Twitter thing had gotten to be too much to think about. I feel much better now.
Seriously.
Anyone I care enough about to Twitter I've already e-mailed or actually (egad) spoken to. Such is life in the 21st Century.
Twitter is a service for friends, family and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?
I'm not doing much. Besides, don't you think family, friends and co-workers already communicate? It's a sad state of affairs if we have to rely on the Internet to talk to each other. I guess we do.
Speaking of which, I'm this close (holding my fingers a half inch apart) to deleting the Facebook account as well. What it amounts to is that I just don't get it.
It's supposed to be this "social networking site" but what it's actually an Internet page that I set up and have allowed people to find me. Mostly, I've been "found" by people I already knew, which is odd since I'm already on their e-mail lists or some other such thing, so Facebook amounts to yet another site that I have to keep track of. I'm exhausted - cyberexhausted.
[One of your friends] thinks that you might know [one of his friends] and thinks that you should add him [her] to your friends list. Maybe. Mostly, I don't know the people that are recommended for me, and I'm not up to adding 500 friends. I can barely keep up with the 5 that I have in real life.
Then, there are the ads and invitations. The latest one is kind of a dare:

Oh, some people in Burlington County think I'm stupid, do they? I'll show them and take an online IQ test which might prove that I'm smart enough to take an online IQ test. It says that it's an "Official IQ Test [exclamation point]" so I guess it counts. Maybe it'll show up in the 2010 Census that we're paying $13 million for. (next subject)

So, here I am - Twitterless and soon to be Faceless-book. I feel so out of touch. Or, as in touch as I felt before I was so in touch.

It's the Internet.

5 comments:

kimmyk said...

I refuse to add one more internet 'thing' to my life. Twitter I think is pathetic. I mean, who really needs to know what you're doing EVERY minute of your life? I think those people are self absorbed and over magnify their importance if they think someone needs to know every detail in one sentence every hour or so.

Like I said, I had Facebook, but the only person I had on there was Firestarter5. If you ask him, I talk his ear off enough, it was pointless.

I think it's sad that people rely so much on the internet and the 'friends' they've made...at one time in my life I think it would have all been important, but then I re-prioritized my life and realized...it's not all that's its cracked up to be.

Anthony said...

Especially when one of my Twitter "friends" updated 100 times a day. Jumping Jesus!

I think it ties into the cell phone gimmick - that we're somehow better off that we can yak to each other 24/7.

I think being needy is under-rated.

Firestarter5 said...

I cancelled my Facebook account (but I did find you Anthony before I left), and I never did the Twit thing. People would have started deleting me immediately..."OK, I'm taking a shit now."

...perhaps Kim would have kept me...

Anonymous said...

Did the Twitter when I heard that DELL followed for complaints. Needless to say they NEVER contacted me regarding anything I had to say... LOL

I asked one of my "friends" on FACEBOOK about all those stupid PILLOW FIGHTS and invitations... I just don't get THAT stuff -- HOWEVER, it's been really cool reconnecting with HS friends/acquaintances/nudges...

On the bright side... DMB is COMIN!!!

Anthony said...

Wow. I didn't understand a word of that.