Monday, February 18, 2008

Another weak night for television.

That Deal or No Deal show has turned into television's version of coach-pitch Little League. You know the kind, where nobody strikes out and everybody gets a turn at bat. Tell everybody they have a chance even if they suck.
Since they've never given away a million dollars, they're trying every mathematical trick in the book to try to help their contestants get the money. They've tried 7 million dollar cases, cases with more than a million and even as many as 10 out of 26 cases with a million dollar prize inside. Still no big winner.
Tonight, they put 13 million dollar cases in the show and told the contestant that they had a 50/50 chance of winning. Makes sense, right? 26 cases and 13 with a million. The trouble with that fuzzy math is that the contestant only picks one, then whittles her way down to her case and the one remaining. The odds are always one out of 26.
The show was kind of cool when I started watching it, but tonight was the first time I watched it in about 6 months. I wrote about it a couple of times, and its Spanish channel cousin, Vas o No Vas. It reminds me of the Who Wants to be a Millionaire show. When I started watching it, I obsessed over it. I loved that show, but now when I see repeats on the Game Show network, I wonder what I found so fascinating. Every once in a while, I see the new one that Meredith Vierra hosts, and I don't watch it for longer than it takes me to guess one question.
By the time it was nearly 9pm she whittled the cases down to a $200 case and a million dollar one. What do you know, a 50/50 chance. She cracked and took the $490,000 deal and later found out that the case she picked had the million bucks. So, even when they tee it up and slow-pitch, it's still tough to beat human nature.
I suppose it could have been worse. Over on ABC they were running some nonsense called Bruno vs. Carrie Ann. Dancing, I think. Next on NBC, My Dad is Better Than Your Dad, and we're supposed to think it's good because it's "from the producers of Survivor". I don't think that's a good marketing technique.
Damn you, writers strike.

3 comments:

MBKimmy said...

I want my TV back!

Anthony said...

Me too, kimmy. But we'll have to wait until April.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

You know the kind, where nobody strikes out and everybody gets a turn at bat. Tell everybody they have a chance even if they suck.

So true. I haven't been watching deal for a long time either and tuned in for the 13 million dollar cases too.

The game has become a circus.

As for t.v. in April I'm looking forward to the return of "The Big Bang Theory." If you haven't seen it you should. It's witty and unique.

In the meantime I'm being satisfied by Lost.