Tuesday, January 1, 2008

What year is this?

The first day of the year. A bogus holiday if ever there was one. The malls were open, as were movie theaters, restaurants, liquor stores and supermarkets. The cashiers at the supermarket got "holiday pay" but the cashiers at the liquor store (next door) did not. Happy New Year.
I figure, it's a holiday mostly because the hungover revelers couldn't get their asses up for work on January 1, so the government figured, "Screw it. Take the day off."
I was awakened last night at midnight by the sound of store-bought fireworks from down the street. It continued for 23 minutes, and I found myself wishing that a tree would catch fire so that there would be some real excitement. It disrupted my sleep and did nothing for the cat's heart murmur. He didn't know what day it was.
Here in the Philadelphia area, it's the day of the annual Mummers Parade. It started 3 hours late because of rain, and should be over by noon on Saturday. It's an acquired taste that I never acquired. As parades go, it's "Ben Hur". Musically, it's ... well ... imagine banjos, saxophones and xylophones. Together.
For all the fuss, you'd think something more important was going on. I'm not big on the even-numbered celebrations - 500th win, 50th birthday - all those things are just numbers, and making a big deal out of changing a calendar is pretty much an excuse for drinking. Not that it's a bad thing, necessarily, but I'd like to have a better reason.
Happy New Year! Guns, fireworks, parades, bowl games and a day off work. Meanwhile, we'll still be writing 2007 on all our stuff for three weeks.

7 comments:

kimmyk said...

happy new year.
but yeah, i dont really care if it's a holiday or not, if it breaks up my work week-i'm all for that. ya know what i'm sayin???

3 days til sat. that's all i care about. getting through to the weekend. i have officially turned into one of *those* people.

bananas62 said...

Hey Anthony! I am in complete agreement about New Years Eve and actually New Years Day... I will agree with Kimmyk about the day off from work, and I get paid... awesome! Hope your 2008 is a good one!
a

rattln along said...

H. N. Y.

I have the day off but it is charged to my PTO. I would have worked but it was good to have it off. Now there is 2 days of crap to deal with tomorrow. :)

Since going electronic with most of my purchases, I rarely write the date anymore. In fact, if I did not have a computer to tell me the date I am not sure I would care about the change of year.

Firestarter5 said...

Back to work tomorrow after being off since Dec 22. Shitter.

annabkrr said...

Happy New Year!!!

annabkrr said...

Happy New Year!!!

Ladyred said...

I used to like the Mummers Parade.....as a kid. Now, not so much.

If New Year's was on a Wednesday or Friday I would have had to work.

Actually, the holidays were better when I was a kid. AFter the innocence was ripped away from me, I'm left all cynical and shit. I don't drink much so sleeping in with a hangover doesn't happen anymore.

I did go to the beach to see the fireworks briefly but it was more fun to watch the yahoo a couple of houses over try to send off his own airborne fireworks that ended up not going any higher than the porch. I so thought the whole house was going to catch fire it got so bright, but no such luck. Would have been interesting.

I fucking wrote '07 in my log book at work today. Grrrr.