Sunday, December 30, 2007

One for "Charlie Wilson's War"

I don't pay too much attention to World news. As far as I'm concerned, the peoples of the world can take care of themselves and sometimes, the less we know about them, the better. Regular readers know that I rarely write anything about what goes on outside our borders, mostly because I am not politically worldly and partly because I don't care all that much.
As I was driving over to the local art house multi-plex to see "Charlie Wilson's War" early Sunday afternoon, I had a little panic attack. I wondered, "What if this movie totally loses me and I have absolutely no idea what's going on, because I don't pay much attention to these kinds of things?" After all, I was going mostly because it's Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts in a film by Mike Nichols, and I'd probably watch paint dry if the three of them were somehow involved.
Early in the attack, I reasoned that the movie wouldn't be as popular as it is if it was a sophisticated study of politics, so my fears were allayed by the ignorance of the general public.
Even if you are as ignorant of world affairs as I, you will enjoy this film, as did I. It starts out in that puzzling fashion that political stories often do, but if you hang with it through the first 30 minutes or so, it will come into sharp focus. The only thing that remains is how is Charlie going to get this accomplished, which I suppose is the point of the thing.
The film shows us how sometimes (or maybe most of the time) oddly unethical or seemingly inappropriate behavior can take place while people accomplish great things. Since the film is based on a true story, and a book by George Crile, we are left to suppose that this is how it happens more often than not.
Tom Hanks has moved into the third phase of his career. He started as a goofball TV and movie actor, transitioned into adulthood and won a few awards along the way. Now, he is the sort of elder statesman of fine film actors and is able to pull off the understated comedic aspects of a complex character with dignity. Julia is ... well, Julia. She is perfect for this role, and we are left wanting more of her, which is good. Philip Seymour Hoffman is perhaps headed for another Oscar nomination, this time as Best Supporting Actor. He is the film's light, and every scene he is in is the better for it. The byplay between him and Hanks is fun to watch. Fans of "Talladega Nights" will no doubt recognize Amy Adams, who does a fine turn as Wilson's assistant. Mike Nichols is one of Hollywood's best story tellers.
There is a reason the film has received such critical acclaim. There is a reason it's usually sold out, and even today, I had to get there a half hour before the start time to ensure a seat that wasn't ten feet from the screen. The reason is that it's a great story told by great entertainers. The moral, as it is, is as timely as today's headlines. The film relates to the current situation in Iraq as well as it relates to 1980s Afghanistan or 1970s Vietnam. The participants change, but the moral is always the same. In the end, it is the point of the film. Those who want to point to Charlie's indiscretions or the methods he uses are missing the point. Don't take you eye off the ball.
Don't worry about the political aspects or the idea that it is about war. It's more a cautionary tale about the effects of war and how the public sees what they want us to see. It is superbly acted, as you could imagine, and the story is craftily told. That didn't prevent the guy behind me from telling his companion, "It isn't as good as the book. You have to read the book." Of course you do, nitwit. How can you tell a 560 page story in 97 minutes? The book ... the book ... you have to read the book. Get back in your Lexus and drive back to suburbia. Book snob.
The downside of the art-house movie experience is that it is often populated by pompous asses who think that they have to state the obvious. Hey, jackass, it's a movie. If I wanted to read, I would have bought the book.
The movie experience is a beautiful aspect of modern society. Don't let this one pass you by and don't read the book unless you want to.

3 comments:

Kate Michele said...

I want to see this.. however no one around me wants to see it.. this will be one that i will have to go see alone or else wait to rent. After reading your review though now I really want to see it.

kimmyk said...

i'm gonna be honest. i skimmed this post. i never skim your posts, but this one i skimmed. only because i was afraid you were going to give a spoiler and i didn't see the words *spoiler alert* while skimming, but you can never be too sure.

i dunno who mike nichols is, but i don't think i would wanna watch paint dry. maybe if the paint was on ben affleck's or bruce willis' body i might. all in the name of art y'know?!

anyways, i hope you enjoyed the movie [i really didn't read that part, sorry] or if you hated it [again, didn't see mention of that either] i'm sorry ya didn't like it perhaps. i dunno. i'm guessing here cause i wanna see this movie. infact i wanted to go today, but my family being the "i wanna stay home today and lay on the couch and eat soup and watch football" sort of family that they are-wouldn't go with me. i seriously need to find like a sunday kind of boyfriend. one that likes to go to the movies. i could care less if he likes long walks on the beach cause well, i just need a popcorn and movie date.

too bad you live so far away or you'd be my date. like it or not, i'd make you sit with me.

annabkrr said...

Kim, I'll be your Sunday movie date! Let's go! I heard it was a good movie, but I just don't like Roberts or Hanks. Yeah, I'm prolly a fascist or something for saying that, but it's true.

But you, my friend, outta get a job writing reviews!