Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The one constant in the Universe.

It still feels like 2007.
Something that you may or may not know about me is that I'm something of a gym rat. From October to March, most of my evenings are spent in our local Emporium of Striated Muscle. I'm there in the summer too, but most of my time is spent on two wheels.
I think it's been 26 years since I started and, with the exception of a dislocated left elbow (1988) and a case of pneumonia (2001) it's been pretty much a daily ritual since 1981. I've been to four or five different places along the way, but one thing is a constant:

The first week of January is a bitch.
Every year it's the same thing. It's resolution season.
It doesn't take
a government survey or a sociologist to figure it out, it's just that goofy thing called human nature. Every year, no matter where I am the place jams up on January 2 with tons of new faces, all encouraged by some witnessed resolution and feeling destined to make-over their abused bodies between now and the time they decide to frighten little children on beaches everywhere.
By which time, they will have long abandoned the idea and gone back to the sofa, still paying the membership fee, thereby creating more space in the gym and helping keep my membership fee lower.
It's a win-win.

3 comments:

annabkrr said...

Oh, me too!

Ladyred said...

Oh MUST love the resolutionists! I always stuck to the gym routine when I was paying a membership. Except once early on. I was like why am I paying a monthly fee and not using the shit? What a waste. I'm hoping to get a decent job and join a gym again. Im not much of a self=motivator. I need all the help I can get. I tried going with friends but they never end up going for long and I end up working out by myself anyway.....I hate a crowded gym anyway.

kimmyk said...

good for you.
and.
good for your body anthony!

but for me...i just like walking.
walking between the months of april and october. the rest of the time i stay indoors...unless i'm walkin' at the mall or whatever.

i dont mind going to the gym, i mind that i can't get on the damn treadmills when i want to. or the showers are so damn cold during the coldest months of the year.