Saturday, November 17, 2007

How many meters in a quart?

The two liter bottle of soda has been accepted by consumers, even though it's clear that Americans hate the metric system. They've been around for a while, and I wonder how many of us could tell you how many 8-ounce cans equals 2 liters (or is it litre?), so maybe they've been ripping us off all this time?
As far as marketing is concerned, the metric system is a half-assed commitment. Vehicle engines and soda. Worldwide consumer products companies like Pepsi, Coca Cola and the auto manufacturers embraced it pretty early, and they probably save a lot of money by not having to translate their volume measurements for us lazy Americans.
For me, a two liter bottle is enough soda that I'll drink about 120 milliliters and have the rest go flat. That's economical, but then, I'm the weirdo that likes those little 6-ounce pony beer bottles, so you never know.
You should have seen me at the Staples tonight, trying to decide whether $3.49 for a 20 meter roll of strapping tape was a better deal than a $2.49, 10 yard roll of packaging tape. Jesus - when is the golf tournament on?
The final eight tee it up on Sunday in Florida at the ADT Championship, where the winner gets a million bucks. In the east, the coverage starts at 3pm on NBC. Just in time too, since football sucks this weekend. If it isn't in wide-screen hi-def, somebody is going to get a nasty e-mail.
You've been warned.
Lorena Ochoa and somebody named Paula are in the mix going into Sunday's final round. They all start from scratch tomorrow, making Saturday kind of a practice round for the big money. (It's one of those weird golf things). I'm thinking the girl with the pink golf balls will have her hands full against this bunch, but she's playing well these days. If anybody gets a look at the ratings numbers, I'd like to know how they do against the Cowboys and Redskins at 4 o'clock.
"O'clock" is short for "of the clock" meaning "according to the clock". The fuller form of the expression is found as early as the late 14th century, in Chaucer.
Just in case you were wondering. Sometimes I think we say stuff without knowing what it means, like "Bless you", or the culturally correct "God Bless You". It should come as no surprise to you that I refuse to say either, since I find them to be rooted in silly superstitious beliefs. I find it interesting how quickly others have picked up on this and refuse to say "Bless You" to me when I sneeze, but say it to others.
Of all the stupid things to notice, they picked this out. Bless their pointed little heads.

1 comment:

Ladyred said...

I have done the same thing! I don'tsee the need ti say bless you to those that sneeze anymore (forgive my typing, I sliced up my right forefinger and its a bit harder to type, it probably needs stitches...so bear with me here). I dont see the need to bless someone when they sneeze. Or some of those other "niceties" that are done. Not that I'm not nice, but I won't ask "how are you" after i say hello, if I don't know you or dont want to know. Maybe I am a meanie

On the metric thing. I'm more used to it now that I got used to using those measurements in photography. It really isn;t that hard to get used to, but if i don't use them for a while then i forget.

I don't buy 2 litres anymore. Just gets wasted. Actially i don't buy soda much