Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Objects in mirror are angrier than they appear.

If I was ever going to get out of my car and beat somebody senseless, today would have been the day. That I didn’t probably means that it will never happen.

Today was one of those foggy mornings where, if you didn’t have your headlights on, you were practically on top of someone before they saw you coming. Needless to say, there were plenty of drivers without their headlights on – some of them in expensive cars that should be equipped with some sort of automatic device, and others in SUV’s which (we are told) are safer than the regular sized cars that the rest of us drive. Can they really be safer if we can’t see them?
One particular dolt came careening down from the on-ramp and settled in about ten feet from my front bumper. Upon closer inspection, I could see that she was looking down and up repeatedly.
As I moved around, I could see that she was fiddling with her cell phone, presumably calling some friend to tell them how incredibly foggy it was and how the headlights of the guy behind her were bothering her.
I wondered how she could hear with all the horn blowing.

6 comments:

kimmyk said...

HA!
You're such a smart ass.

I don't talk on my cell phone anymore while driving. I'm all "I'm in the car I'll have to call you back" and funny thing is-half the time i'm not in my car. I just don't want to talk to anyone.

Sparky Duck said...

I bet it was an ipod, not a cell phone.

Anthony said...

No, it was a phone.

Anonymous said...

On the topic of expensive cars you'd think would have certain features:

I drive a 5 year-old Toyota that has those headlights you can't turn off. Ever. I've seen Lexuses (or is the plural Lexi?) that apparently don't have this feature, despite the fact that both my lowly Corolla and the mighty Lexus are made by the same company.

I type all this still half hating those damn compulsory lights, though I can see how some drivers clearly need their cars to figure out for them when it's too dark to drive without lights on.

Firestarter5 said...

They're called DRL's or Daytime Running Lights. We've had them up here for years now. It looks odd now to see a vehicle without their headlights on. You just get used to it.

Ladyred said...

My grandmother told me to drive with my lights on since people can't seem to see a half ton truck barrelling down the road which forces me to curse and blow the horn at oeioke (tired of hitting backspace). I used to get mad at the idiot self-centered drivers out there, but I had to stop getting so upset or you would have seen me oin the news. I decided it's not worth it. When I get the =chance tho i do smile while flipping the bird when i pass someone or slam on my brakes for tjose who enjoy being nose to nose with my bumper.

Again, i'm a meanie