Monday, November 12, 2007

A veteran of mundane behavior.

After spending Sunday crashing into the ground, Monday needed to be quiet and uneventful. Around here, that isn't difficult to achieve.
I had some Ebola stuff to drop off at the big 24/7 Post Office, fill up my tank with an oddly underpriced 9 gallons of $2.79 gasoline, pick up a Subway sub and hang with the cat. Once again, our brave servicemen [and women] did a great thing. I thought I saw school buses and at least one grammar school open today. That's not a good message to send to our kids. They can take 2 days for an in-service teacher's day, but the school is open to honor veterans?
Then, of course all the stores are open, so I had no issues going anywhere or doing anything, which made me wonder who, exactly wasn't working today? I think you're fortunate if you had the day off today, since it seems that government makes holidays for itself and a select few, while people with the shit jobs have to work. [What a racket] It got to me so much that I actually put a dollar in the little tip box at Subway. I'm against tipping Sandwich Artists, but if they're working today, maybe they deserve something; but I didn't tip the gas station attendant, so I feel like a heel. The way things are going, gas station attendants aren't the most popular people on the planet, especially when they collect the money.
I'm guessing that gasoline will cost $4 a gallon before Christmas. I saw a couple of places for $2.95 and $2.97 [not including the extra nine-tenths of a cent], even though the local Wawa was twenty cents cheaper. How can the prices be that different in stations that are less than 7 miles apart? The expensive ones were near the state highways, so fill up quick, before you get to the highway.
It seems like, some days things are particularly out of whack.

6 comments:

Kate Michele said...

Stop. It's 3.30 here.

Firestarter5 said...

You 'mericans have it so easy. Basically double your prices and that's what we're paying here.

rattln along said...

FirestarterL: that is because you have to have everything in 2 languages. Wait a minute... My ballot was in two languages on Saturday. Hmmm.

Anthony said...

It's all relative. I'll take your gasoline prices if you'll take our property taxes and car insurance rates.

Although, from what I can determine, chewing gum is considered "food" in Ohio, so you never know.

Ladyred said...

Wait. Now down here in the peach state (Georgia for those who don't know) it's like 3.14

You northern folk have higher gas taxes AND full serve stations, so why am I paying more?

(Sorry bout your prices FS5, I feel bad about bitchin about our prices....oh for about a second)

Sparky Duck said...

$3.09 in the Northeast Suburbs and thats in the more normal areas, not the ritzy ones.

Yippee skippy I was off.