Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Seven worth savoring.

Over at Ohioan Kimmyk's joint, she posted a list of 7 things she's thankful for and tagged me to do the same. We're leaving out all the obvious ones - home, family, cat and opposable thumbs - and turning to the things that we choose to bring into our lives and make those mundane days go by a little easier. Life's laxative, so to speak.

Enough of that. Here's the list:

(1) Talk radio. It's kind of quiet around here most days - OK, every day - so at times a little background noise is necessary. I've been hooked on talk radio since the late 70s and have wandered around from current events to all-sports. There aren't nearly as many of them as there are hip-hop music stations, so I've learned to appreciate the medium. I think I'd go nuts if I had to listen to music when I turned on the radio. Besides, most commercial music radio is crap.
(2) Wawa. Some of my readers don't know what I'm talking about, so I'll explain. Wawa is a local chain of convenience stores that acts as a supermarket for single people. Picture a store with a free MAC machine, all the regular convenience store fare plus - the best coffee in the area, freshly made sandwiches, a full delicatessen, the cheapest gasoline in the area and their own brand of mixed nuts that is da bomb! My local readers just started nodding their heads when they saw that Wawa was number 2.
(3) The bicycle. When I dislocated my elbow in 1989, my softball career was just about over and I needed something besides the gym to occupy my athletic time and have some sort of competitive angle as well. I already had a bike that I was semi-serious about and the injury made me more serious. Alone, it's an effective fitness tool and gives me some time to block a lot of junk out of my mind. In a group, it's all of those things and a minor social event, too. Without it, I think I'd weigh about 250 and be headed for Heartattack Village. I've made some good friends, too, which is immeasurable.
On a side note: As for Sunday, I really didn't mind beating myself up so much on the trails. I was more angry with myself for falling a few times, but I don't have the skill to do anything else but fall. I really don't mind a little muscle soreness or stiffness. As long as nothing broke, I'm better for it.
(4) The newspaper. When I was a kid, the newspaper was always waiting for me when I got home from school. It was an evening paper world, then. After dinner was a time to relax and read the paper. Now, evenings are filled with kids' soccer games, the Internet and TV. The newspaper comes in the morning now, and if I don't have it on my doorstep before I leave for work, I have to stop and buy one. Damned influential childhood.
(5) Cereal. Snack time, anytime. One of the world's perfect foods. It comes in so many flavors I never get tired of eating it. You can get it with fruit in it, sugar on it or so plain that you'd think it was actual road gravel. If I'm ever washed up on an island and I get a FedEx package with a soccer ball inside, I'm hoping a case of Oat Cluster Cheerios Crunch and some soy milk come up, too. Me and Voit can share a bowl. His name was Voit, right?
(6) NyQuil. If I'm feeling a little sniffly and I think there's a head cold in my future, I'll spend my last five dollars for this junk. I take it about 2 hours before I want to be unconscious and I'm out until the next morning. I think it's Gatorade and lighter fluid in a blue and red flavor.
(7) My readers. Seriously, what's the point of doing this if nobody is reading it? You might not know it, but you're riding along on my Internet-based psychotherapy clinic. I don't think I'd bother if I went to the Statcounter and saw a bunch of zeroes or a lot of stupid Google searches.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i got tagged by kimmyk too so i thought i'd make the rounds and check out other people's 7 things.

nyquil makes me feel drunk as a skunk. and i love cereal. i can go thru a whole box of capt. crunch. and lucky charms and fruity pebbles..and i could go on and on. :)

rattln along said...

The ball's name was Wilson.

Did you check out the TRUE video of Anthony's bike ride? http://rattln-chains.blogspot.com/

Anthony said...

katie: Try a mouthful of Robitussim DM first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Makes ya kinda dizzy. It's pretty cool.

rattlin: I remembered later, but I thought Voit was funnnier.
If I could ride like that, I wouldn't have to work anymore.

Kate Michele said...

Ohhh Cereal... great now i'm hungry. thanks.

Cherrios with strawberries.... damn.

Sparky Duck said...

so is it WIP or Sports Radio 950?

Wawa is something that should be spread all over the world, and while I enjoy Nyquil, I enjoy Tylenol PM even more.

Anthony said...

It's WIP. Macnow at night and Anthony and Steve if I'm at home during the day. Saturday's it's Macnow and Didinger.
Cataldi gets on my nerves most of the time, so my morning drive is usually with XPN.

I'm gonna have to try this Tylenol PM, after multiple recommendations.

kimmyk said...

I haven't eaten cereal in a year or so but i want some now. i've been thinking of golden grahams like a cracked out cereal whore these days. this just fed the hunger my friend.

nyquil is the devils kool aid. nastiness!

Scoobers said...

Cereal and Nyquil every morning after work. Then I slip into bed, read a little blog and slip off into my cough suppressant induced slumber.

Lovely.