Monday, September 3, 2007

The Interview

I volunteered to be interview by Kimmyk. I like being asked questions, and I find that most people have boundaries concerning what they will or won't ask. I have no such boundaries, and I have yet to find a way to encourage the people in my personal life to ask the questions that they must be dying to ask of me. Generally, I pose my own questions to myself here on the blog - and answer them. It's nice to be asked for a change.
1-Describe a smell from your childhood and why it's so important.
I had a pretty smelly childhood. Everything from mimeograph ink to sour milk and my father's carpet and tile glue that he would come home with.
The one I have the best memories of is the smell of paste. I don't even know if kids use it now, but it used to come in a white jar with a brush. It was like wallpaper paste, but it had a cow on the jar. From 1964 to 1969 I kept scrapbooks of Phillies games. I'd cut out the box score, pictures, story and the standings from the newspaper every night and make up a page of each game. I had these big 16-inch square pages and each day was a new page. I can still smell the paste and the old newspaper as I positioned each day's events, trying to make it all fit on one page. And yes, I still have the scrapbooks.
2-What is your biggest character flaw?
I think it's my lack of motivation to achieve that which I am capable. I have conflicting emotions regarding getting the most out of myself and the futility of life in general. I could push hard, but my inner voice says, "What's the point?" I don't feel that great motivating force to push me toward greatness. I seem to be content with being ordinary, and that isn't getting me anywhere. I was a pretty good musician, but lacked the desire to live in poverty while I pursued my goal. I think I'm a pretty good writer, but I don't know if I have the desire to develop the skill and sell myself. I tend to wait while others discover my talents rather than pushing them on people. Generally, people are more interested in making themselves look good rather than encouraging someone else, so it's a battle of wills that I will ultimately lose. I need to push. I need a Muse.
3-You're big on music-what kind of music was played in your house growing up?
The worst kind. My mom was deeply into Frank Sinatra, Tom Jones and these pianists named Ferrante and Teicher. Sinatra was okay, but that light piano music almost drove me to eat paste. It's elevator music in your home. Dad was into country music. I remember LPs by Ferlin Husky and Buck Owens polluting our stereo. Fortunately, I'm an independent thinker, and I developed my own tastes once The Beatles showed up. I always wondered how my contemporaries became Carpenter's or Barry Manilow fans. I chalked it up to accepting what you are given, rather than searching out your own taste. It's probably more complicated than that, but I had that rebellious streak that made me go after the opposites. I just never figured out how a 16-year old could like Barry Manilow. That's grandpa music, for when your ears can't distinguish low and high tones and you are attracted to mid-ranges and bad piano playing.
4-You get a Ferris Bueller's Day Off sort of a day - what would you do?
I do just about the same thing Ferris did. I wander into the city (Philadelphia instead of Chicago) and poke around. I take the train or bus into the city (I never drive) and hit a local (cheap) restaurant for lunch. If there's a concert, I'll go, or I might take my camera and search for something interesting. I like the orchestra or one of the small clubs like Tin Angel, Electric Factory or the TLA on South Street. I have this weird thing where I'll go to concerts by myself, but not movies. I think it's because a concert is a one-time event, and if I miss it, it's gone. Movies I can watch anytime.
5-Describe yourself with one word.
Complicated.
These are the rules. [I hate rules, but there are always rules]:
1) Leave me a comment saying "interview me" along with your e-mail address.
2) I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
3) You will update your blog with a post containing your answers to the questions.
4) You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5) When others comment asking to be interviewed you will ask them five questions.

11 comments:

Kate Michele said...

I too never got the whole Manilow thing. The whole Fanilow craze...its a big What The?...to me.

I had past like that as a teenager for my scrap books but it was called Mod Podge. You could paint over stuff to so pictures would stick on an old trunk say and it would make like a sealent over it. Great stuff.

What the Hey Interview me. Kimmy sent one today that I'm working on... So this will give me some stuff to post.

kimmyk said...

I remember the white sticky substance you speak of. LOL. Funny when you remember your childhood that's the smell you remember. For me it's pine cleaner. I was a huge Manilow fan back in the 70's. Actually still am. Nobody can sing Mandy like Barry. Not to mention Weekend In New England. *swoon*

Great answers Anthony! Thanks for playing along.

annabkrr said...

I'm with Kimmy of the Barry topic. I had my own Manilow's greatest hits album and knew every word to Copacabana!!

At the Copa, Copacabannnnna

Excellant interview!

Anonymous said...

I'd beg to be interviewed, just because I like the attention, but I'd hate to have someone email me questions and then I never get around to answering them...

Anonymous said...

The fact that you did not like the music of Ferrante and Teicher speaks volumes about you. Complicated is not the word I would use to describe you. It would be "nuts".

Kate Michele said...

Damn... Someones a little bitter ;)

kimmyk said...

Ooohh who is anonymous?

Anthony said...

As near as I can figure, it's somebody from Toledo, Ohio.

Maybe it's Teicher?

Or Barry Manilow.

Sparky Duck said...

ive interviewed you twice, I think. It might be your turn by now ;)

Laura said...

great interview!
although i must say i am sorry you don't get the whole manilow thing as a young person back in the 70s...maybe because you are a guy? but then agin my girls didn't either when i dusted off my old manilow albums that my brother saved for me.
could i tag along on the ferris bueller day in philadelphia? it sounds like fun!

Anthony said...

Laura: Sure! The orchestra season looks great this year.

K8tie and Sparky: I'll work on it.

Howard: I like the attention, too, but there's no time limit. :)